Windows 11 24H2 update kb5044284 fails on reboot at 40%, error 0x800f0922 - SOLVED, page 5

Anonymous
2024-10-09T15:01:11+00:00

Using Windows 11 24H2 26100.1742, got the update for KB5044284.

This downloaded and extracted fine, then restarted the PC. The update got to the 30% and restarted. On the reboot the update continued until 40%, when it hung for about 8 minutes, then gave an error message (with no reference) and rolled back.

Windows Update in Settings App shows Error 0x800f0922.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-10-11T16:09:59+00:00

    It's the same error La Fargeotte saw, and the root cause is the same.

    Maybe the following repair installation method will help.

    1. Download Windows 11 Media Creation Tool (MCT) from this link:

    https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2156295

    1. Run MCT and download the ISO it recommends for your system. Do *not* uncheck "Use the recommended options for this PC".

    https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/how-to-download-windows-11-iso/ (screenshots)

    1. Right-click on the downloaded ISO and choose "Mount." This assigns the ISO a drive letter.
    2. Run setup.exe from the ISO drive. This starts the repair installation.

    (Your files, settings and applications will be preserved if you use the ISO recommended for your system by the Media Creation Tool.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-10-11T20:58:32+00:00

    Yes I did. I also waited after both updates where finished and installed. Then I choose to restart my PC and Windows did I refresh of everything. After this kb5044284 was still pending and failed again.

    After the reinstall with the ISO, Windows couldn't not find kb5044284 and it is not visible in my update history. I guess the new ISO has this baked in?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-10-12T03:23:19+00:00

    Please run winver.exe. If the OS build is 26100.2033, the kb5044284 update has been applied.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-10-12T09:00:43+00:00

    Yes, Winver shows 26100.2033 🎉. Thank you very much. I hope this issue is only persistent with early 24H2 users. I forced the update through the update assistant, so I knew that I could have issues (which I don't mind).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-10-12T09:05:50+00:00

    Great, thanks for the update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments