windows 11 version 24H2 not updating

Anonymous
2024-10-21T02:42:27+00:00

i keep trying to update the latest one which is windows 11 version 24H2, but i keep getting the " We couldn't update the system reserved partition" I'm not that good with computers so if someone can help me resolve this issue that would be dope!

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ivan B 124.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2024-10-24T12:55:21+00:00

Hi ,

Search for cmd. Press-and-hold or right-click on Command Prompt in the results, and select Run as administrator.

At the command prompt, type mountvol y: /s and then hit Enter. This will add the Y: drive letter to access the System Partition.

Switch to the Y drive by typing Y: and press Enter. Then, navigate to the Fonts folder by typing cd EFI\Microsoft\Boot\Fonts. Once there, type del *.* to delete font files. The system may ask you if you are sure to continue, press Y and then Enter to continue.

Credits.: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/-we-c...

Hope this helps.

If you find the answer helpful, please mark it as an answer.

Independent Advisor - Community

Thanks

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-06T01:19:51+00:00

    I had this same issue ... I had a 96mb system partition ... Generally I followed the guidance here but my situation was a bit more complex. My C: drive was Bitlocked encrypted and AOMEI won't do it's thing with that turned on so I had to decrypt my C: drive. That also meant removing some auto-unlock keys for some other USB drives I have. Additionally, when AOMEI rebooted to do it's thing - it didn't. It just sat there for like 10 minutes doing nothing. I didn't see my C: disk drive there either so maybe something funky was going on with UEFI, etc. What I ended up doing was downloading Hiren, booting off a USB thumb drive and running AOMEI from there (it's built into Hiren). Even then I had errors on my C: drive that AOMEI made me resolve with chkdsk (understandable) - but I think AOMEI's guided walkthrough of this failed because I ended up in a loop just constantly running chkdsk to fix it. I broke out of the loop, hit a command prompt and ran chkdsk /f from there. Finally I was able to do some resizing. AOMEI is kinda weird - I wanted to allign the sectors/tracks for optimal SSD performance so I could never tell just how much disk space I was freeing up. Fortunately the resize only took like 10 minutes. I ended up running through 3 or 4 resizes before I was happy - well mostly happy. I have like 7mb of unallocated space between partitions now that's driving me nutso but otherwise it worked flawlessly. Windows came up just fine (which after something like this is a minor miracle) .... I then ran through 24H2 and that was about as nerve wrecking as this process (it complained about a couple apps I have installed). After 24H2 I re-ecrypted and now I am back whole again. Hope this helps someone else know what they're in store for if they try to tackle this problem. Hopefully Microsoft addresses it themselves but with it being such a serious operation - I'm not sure they will.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-16T01:10:00+00:00

    I found that no partition manager (including AOMEI) would move the 2nd (reserved) partition to free up space to enlarge the first (EFI) partition.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-20T10:06:59+00:00

    If the failure to upgrade Windows is due to insufficient free space within the EFI partition or the message reports " We couldn't update the system reserved partition" then there are three methods to consider:

    a) Temporarily removing files that Windows recreates after a successful upgrade

    b) Using third party software to move / resize partitions

    c) Creating a new partition

    For troubleshooting help please open a new thread and post a link into this thread.

    1. Please run the V2 log collector and post a share link into this thread using drop box, or google drive

    BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums

    BSOD - Posting Instructions | Windows 11 Forum (elevenforum.com)

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/136792-change-display-language-windows-10-a.html#option1

    1. Run: upgrade_failure_info > post a share link

    Ten Forums - Windows 10 Help and Support Forum

    Batch files for use in BSOD debugging - Windows 10 Help Forums

    Batch files for use in BSOD debugging - Windows 10 Help Forums

    1. Run disk partition info > post a share link

    https://www.tenforums.com/attachments/bsod-crashes-debugging/355861d1640707960-batch-files-use-bsod-debugging-diskparinfo.bat

    Batch files for use in BSOD debugging - Windows 10 Forums

    1. Open disk management > widen rows and columns > post a share link

    How to Post a Screenshot of Disk Management | Tutorials

    For share links please use drop box or google drive.

    Make sure that links are available without sign in.

    https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2424384?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-05-19T04:08:09+00:00

    it just says "The directory is not empty." when I try but I only have 2MB left so I cant update my PC

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments