windows 11 version 24H2 not updating

Anonymous
2024-10-21T02:42:27+00:00

i keep trying to update the latest one which is windows 11 version 24H2, but i keep getting the " We couldn't update the system reserved partition" I'm not that good with computers so if someone can help me resolve this issue that would be dope!

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ivan B 124.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2024-10-24T12:55:21+00:00

Hi ,

Search for cmd. Press-and-hold or right-click on Command Prompt in the results, and select Run as administrator.

At the command prompt, type mountvol y: /s and then hit Enter. This will add the Y: drive letter to access the System Partition.

Switch to the Y drive by typing Y: and press Enter. Then, navigate to the Fonts folder by typing cd EFI\Microsoft\Boot\Fonts. Once there, type del *.* to delete font files. The system may ask you if you are sure to continue, press Y and then Enter to continue.

Credits.: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/-we-c...

Hope this helps.

If you find the answer helpful, please mark it as an answer.

Independent Advisor - Community

Thanks

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-12-24T11:52:28+00:00

    Do you have the paid version or the free one?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-12-23T21:29:05+00:00

    I managed to resize the partitions and update, thank you for the help!

    AOMEI showed the reserved partition differently from the others from the beginning. Even when there was no space next to it, the EFI partition showed up as resizable, but the reserved showed as unchangeable, so I thought it couldn't be moved at all. When I made some space next to it by moving the C drive, I could actually move the reserved partition, and then extend the EFI partition, and then update Windows.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-12-23T17:15:57+00:00

    And the Microsoft Reserved Partition is in the way of extending the EFI System Partition, right?

    Right. And drive C is in the way of moving Microsoft Reserved.

    What do you mean, "The reason you cannot move this in MiniTool is because it's MiniTool"? Is there another way that I could move the MRS partition? AOMEI also doesn't let me.

    You could not move it in MiniTool even with unallocated space next to it. I cannot tell you why this is.

    You could move it in AOMEI with unallocated space next to it.

    And more importantly, should I move it? Or delete it? Please elaborate a bit more. It seems important, but you also seem to imply I should just delete it. Does it not matter then? Or can it be remade after the fact?

    You obviously could not restore it as that would take space away. I know that Windows can do without the partition in MBR to GPT converted scenarios, but I cannot make the decision for you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-12-23T17:00:19+00:00

    yes it updated and i haven't had any issues since.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments