Failed Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10

Anonymous
2024-12-17T18:00:46+00:00

I am attempting to do an in-place upgrade from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro. I used the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB. It goes through the process, then around 79% it jumps to "your PC will restart in a few moments" then without restarting it returns to my Win 7 desktop and has a gray box that says "Windows 10 installation has failed"

Things I have done to try and resolve, primarily from suggestions found in MS Forums and Tenforums for other people that had the same problem:

\*Uninstalled MSE and SuperAntiSpyware 

\*Disable Malwarebytes before each attempt 

\*Run Setup.exe as administrator 

\*run SFC /scannow and CHKDSK /f both returned no errors 

\*Regedit to delete entries to fix Win Update Service, then installed new updates that resulted after that, except MSE 

\*CleanBoot prior to install 

\*Tried both with and without checking for updates selected during install. 

All attempts result exactly the same way. Thanks in advance for help!

I tried to paste the setuperr.log but it's too many characters

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-12-18T05:11:31+00:00

    Interestingly, I could not get into recovery environment either with Shift+restart or with f8 on restart. but here is the info from CMD

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nZWQWEPEwLzMAMOKMz00t1IBBC_bBZvH/view?usp=sharing

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-12-18T05:14:59+00:00

    I will work on this now

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Ivan B 124.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-12-18T05:16:46+00:00

    Hi ,

    I will be waiting for your response if it worked.

    Independent Advisor - Community

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-12-18T05:19:50+00:00

    Interestingly, I could not get into recovery environment either with Shift+restart or with f8 on restart. but here is the info from CMD

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nZWQWEPEwLzMAMOKMz00t1IBBC_bBZvH/view?usp=sharing

    My mistake. I posted the steps for Windows 10.

    Here are the instructions for Windows 7. Rename BCD to BCD.bak and rebuild the BCD.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwBibf72iOc

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-12-18T05:34:18+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments