Failed Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10

Anonymous
2024-12-17T18:00:46+00:00

I am attempting to do an in-place upgrade from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro. I used the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB. It goes through the process, then around 79% it jumps to "your PC will restart in a few moments" then without restarting it returns to my Win 7 desktop and has a gray box that says "Windows 10 installation has failed"

Things I have done to try and resolve, primarily from suggestions found in MS Forums and Tenforums for other people that had the same problem:

\*Uninstalled MSE and SuperAntiSpyware 

\*Disable Malwarebytes before each attempt 

\*Run Setup.exe as administrator 

\*run SFC /scannow and CHKDSK /f both returned no errors 

\*Regedit to delete entries to fix Win Update Service, then installed new updates that resulted after that, except MSE 

\*CleanBoot prior to install 

\*Tried both with and without checking for updates selected during install. 

All attempts result exactly the same way. Thanks in advance for help!

I tried to paste the setuperr.log but it's too many characters

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-12-18T03:53:54+00:00

    Disk Management

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CjUx1FMQKhUmsmd6ZZNyHXKmn-UjtIng/view?usp=drive_link

    BIOS Update attempt failed, saying Build Date too old

    I thought I mentioned I already purchased a Win 10 Pro license.

    I really don't want to do clean install and have to reinstall all my programs. That is what I am trying to avoid.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-12-18T04:17:22+00:00

    Disk Management

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CjUx1FMQKhUmsmd6ZZNyHXKmn-UjtIng/view?usp=drive_link

    BIOS Update attempt failed, saying Build Date too old

    I thought I mentioned I already purchased a Win 10 Pro license.

    I really don't want to do clean install and have to reinstall all my programs. That is what I am trying to avoid.

    The Google Drive link says access is denied. Please share it for public access.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-12-18T04:24:53+00:00

    oops sorry, try again, I fixed it.

    Thank you for all your help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-12-18T04:38:43+00:00

    Please boot into Windows RE Command Prompt. To do so, from the login screen, click Shutdown, then hold down the Shift key while selecting Restart. 

    Click Troubleshoot → Advanced Options → Command Prompt.

    Run these commands from WinRE Command Prompt:

    • bcdedit | find "osdevice"
    • diskpart
    • list disk
    • select disk 1
    • list part
    • list vol
    • exit

    Take photo of the output screen and share the images here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Ivan B 124.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-12-18T04:40:31+00:00

    Hi ,

    Clean Boot

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/como-...

    Let's try the following: First, you will do a clean boot, then open the command prompt and run these two commands: sfc /scannow and DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth, wait for the process to finish.

    After rebooting, you will download the ISO in the process below:

    After that, you will do the following: disconnect the cable from the internet or turn off the Wi-Fi and follow the procedure below:

    https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

    Select Download tool now, and select Run. You need to be an administrator to run this tool.

    If you agree to the license terms, select Accept.

    On the What do you want to do? page, select Create installation media for another PC, and then select Next.

    The application will automatically identify the correct version of windows 10 for your system, from Next.

    Select which media you want to use ISO file. Save an ISO file to your PC

    After downloading, find the Windows 10 ISO file on your PC, right-click and select “Mount”. If the option is not available, select “Open With” and “Windows Explorer”

    1. Run the “Setup” application, present inside the Windows 10 ISO, to start the installation on the PC.
    2. With the ISO files folder open, click on the “Setup” executable to continue installing Windows 10.
    3. After that, a Get Important Updates window will appear along with the two options Select: Not now
    4. Uncheck the box I want to help improve your Windows installation to skip sending unknown data to Microsoft about the installation process Next
    5. After that, a License Terms window will pop up, here you have to click on the Accept button.

    6.Now another “Choose what to keep” window or “Ready to install” window will pop up.

    At this point, you need to change some settings. Click the “Change what to keep” link

    1. You can now see the “Choose what to keep” window along with the three options given below:

    Select Keep My files and Programs.

    Then click on the Next button.

    Finally, the Ready to Install window will appear along with the Install button.

    Hope this helps.

    If you find the answer helpful, please mark it as an answer.

    Independent Advisor - Community

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments