Failed Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10

Anonymous
2024-12-17T18:00:46+00:00

I am attempting to do an in-place upgrade from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro. I used the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB. It goes through the process, then around 79% it jumps to "your PC will restart in a few moments" then without restarting it returns to my Win 7 desktop and has a gray box that says "Windows 10 installation has failed"

Things I have done to try and resolve, primarily from suggestions found in MS Forums and Tenforums for other people that had the same problem:

\*Uninstalled MSE and SuperAntiSpyware 

\*Disable Malwarebytes before each attempt 

\*Run Setup.exe as administrator 

\*run SFC /scannow and CHKDSK /f both returned no errors 

\*Regedit to delete entries to fix Win Update Service, then installed new updates that resulted after that, except MSE 

\*CleanBoot prior to install 

\*Tried both with and without checking for updates selected during install. 

All attempts result exactly the same way. Thanks in advance for help!

I tried to paste the setuperr.log but it's too many characters

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-12-18T03:53:54+00:00

    Disk Management

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CjUx1FMQKhUmsmd6ZZNyHXKmn-UjtIng/view?usp=drive_link

    BIOS Update attempt failed, saying Build Date too old

    I thought I mentioned I already purchased a Win 10 Pro license.

    I really don't want to do clean install and have to reinstall all my programs. That is what I am trying to avoid.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Ivan B 124.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-12-18T03:03:22+00:00

    Hi ,

    In this case, I would recommend doing a clean installation, as upgrading from Windows 7 to 10 may present errors, but I can provide a procedure to upgrade from 7 to 10, but offline.

    Independent Advisor - Community

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-12-18T02:59:45+00:00

    Thank you, Ivan. As I just mentioned above, One Drive does not want to cooperate with me.

    Here is the link to Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wxu2V74YwXLGg4QxGAgeKWhGzRgWjEiK/view?usp=sharing

    and also setuperr.log setuperr.log

    1. The BCD may be corrupt.

    * * * * *

    2024-12-17 11:44:38, Info SP CUpdateBootCode::DoExecute: Try to repair BCD file due to potential corruption error

    2024-12-17 11:44:38, Error SP CUpdateBootCode::DoExecute: An error occurred while repair system partition. Root path [C:\Windows]. Error: 0x80070032[gle=0x00000032]

    2024-12-17 11:44:38, Error SP Operation failed: Update Boot Code. Error: 0x80004005[gle=0x000000b7]

    2024-12-17 11:44:38, Info MOUPG Finalize: Registering Setup Platform error: [0x80004005]

    2024-12-17 11:44:38, Error SP ExecuteOperations: Failed execution phase Finalize. Error: 0x80004005

    * * * * *

    Please open Disk Management and maximize it. Post a screenshot.

    1. Please update your BIOS for your model from the ASUS site. A more recent BIOS (2015) seems available.
    2. The Windows 7 to Windows 10 free upgrade offer has been stopped. After upgrading to Windows 10, you must buy and activate a Windows 10/11 license from the Store.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-12-18T02:59:11+00:00

    C is 500GB SSD

    D is 1TB HDD

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Ivan B 124.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-12-18T02:51:25+00:00

    Hi ,

    In case you want to update to Windows 10 before all this, do you have a HD or SSD in your laptop?

    Independent Advisor - Community

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments