Failed Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10

Anonymous
2024-12-17T18:00:46+00:00

I am attempting to do an in-place upgrade from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro. I used the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB. It goes through the process, then around 79% it jumps to "your PC will restart in a few moments" then without restarting it returns to my Win 7 desktop and has a gray box that says "Windows 10 installation has failed"

Things I have done to try and resolve, primarily from suggestions found in MS Forums and Tenforums for other people that had the same problem:

\*Uninstalled MSE and SuperAntiSpyware 

\*Disable Malwarebytes before each attempt 

\*Run Setup.exe as administrator 

\*run SFC /scannow and CHKDSK /f both returned no errors 

\*Regedit to delete entries to fix Win Update Service, then installed new updates that resulted after that, except MSE 

\*CleanBoot prior to install 

\*Tried both with and without checking for updates selected during install. 

All attempts result exactly the same way. Thanks in advance for help!

I tried to paste the setuperr.log but it's too many characters

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Ivan B 124.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-12-21T10:04:26+00:00

    Hi ,

    Well, the build update procedure directly in Windows Update mainly occurs because some Windows applications have changed format, I would say to UWP, so Stick Notes, for example, if you become UWP by migrating, it does not occur directly.

    Hope this helps.

    If you find the answer helpful, you can choose to accept the answer or not.

    Independent Advisor - Community

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-12-20T22:57:39+00:00

    ugh... I wish Windows Upgrade would have said something, and asked me if I wanted to back up my data somewhere, and told me where. The reason I wanted to do in-place upgrade was to not lose data, yet here we are.

    Thank you for all your help.

    Michael

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Ivan B 124.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-12-20T19:33:59+00:00

    Hi ,

    You can follow the procedure in the link below to migrate Stick notes from 7 to 10.

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

    Independent Advisor - Community

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-12-20T05:45:07+00:00

    I already found the Sticky Note application in 10, as it was when I opened it thatI discovered the note I had wasn't present. I thought the application just hadn't been initiated. I will try to figure out how to recover the note from from the image I made prior to upgrade. I think it somewhere in the roaming profile.

    Thanks again.

    Michael

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Ivan B 124.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-12-20T04:58:14+00:00

    Hi ,

    I understand, I'm glad you managed to fix the BCD so you can update Windows 10.

    However, regarding Stick Notes, the application is native to Windows 7 compared to Windows 10, which has UWP, and it's probably possible that Stick Notes hasn't been migrated, but try searching for the application in the search bar and start its .exe.

    Hope this helps.

    If you find the answer helpful, please mark it as an answer.

    Independent Advisor - Community
    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments