Run these commands:
- xcopy /h Y:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD C:\
- format Y: /fs:FAT32 /q
- bcdboot C:\Windows /s Y: /f UEFI
Post the output.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I have a qualifying pc which is currently showing as being version win 10 pro 21H2.
Foe the last 18 months it has repeatedly aske me to to run the update to Win 22H2. This consistently fails. However, I have been receiving security and other updates for win 10 22H2 since 16-02-2023.
Every time I try to upgrade it fails.
I have tried everything possible I can find to solve it, clearing caches, removing update history, trouble shooting etc and I am at my wits end.
If I can't get it to win 10 22H2 it wont upgrade to Win 11 which I need and I do NOT want to have to clean install Win 11 if I can help it.
Any clues please are most welcome. I have exhausted everything I can find our there and nothing works. The only thing I haven't tried as a win 10 restore .
Help.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Run these commands:
Post the output.
Thanks will do.
One question. This will NOT be a clean install will it? I need an upgrade.
Thanks for all of your advice so far.
It's not a clean installation. After fixing the boot files, you can reattempt the in-place upgrade.
After posting the output of the commands, please remain in WinRE because one more command needs to be run.
Thanks will do.
One question. This will NOT be a clean install will it? I need an upgrade.
Thanks for all of your advice so far.
WinRE couldn't be enabled. So, please create a USB setup disk.
Note: You'll need a USB stick of 8GB or higher capacity to create a USB setup disk. The contents of the USB stick will be erased during the disk creation process.
Download Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (MCT) from this link:
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=2265055
Run MCT and create a bootable USB disk.
After creating the USB setup disk, boot the subject computer using it. To do so, you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS/UEFI settings. Consult your system or motherboard manual to learn how to access the UEFI settings for your model.
On the Windows Setup language selection screen, press Shift + F10 to enter Windows RE Command Prompt.
In the Windows RE Command Prompt, run these commands:
bcdedit | find "osdevice"
mountvol Y: /s
diskpart
select disk 0
select part 1
assign letter=Y
list part
list vol
exit
Take photos of the output screen and post the images here.