Windows 11 version 24H2 ''Install Error 0xc1900201''

Anonymous
2024-12-05T18:07:58+00:00

I'm trying to download 24H2 update and my system meet the requirements for it. Nonetheless it doesn't work at all. Whenever it reaches eight percent, I get the error I mentioned in the title.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2025-02-06T09:28:57+00:00

The move is complete. I am trying to update again. What should I do with the ASUSG713PV.BIN file that we moved to drive C?

You may move it back to the EFI partition after deleting the .ttf files again after the 24H2 upgrade.

Note: If you wish to resize the EFI partition (which will be a permanent fix for this issue), you can use AOMEI or a similar third-party tool.

See:

How to Resize the EFI System Partition:

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/resize-efi-system-partition/

Also, check out this thread, especially the last reply (posted by Ferenc. A) in that thread.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_11-wintop_update/windows-11-version-24h2-not-updating/68c3a307-a329-49cf-a676-7cbcca3d5802?messageId=34a370ba-6974-4e17-8fb4-29d5a84fe25a

Note: It's suggested that the data be backed up to an external drive before modifying the partitions.

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-05T04:36:59+00:00

    Thanks again.

    I was able to create the unallocated space before the D drive (by moving D drive behind the unallocated space. However, I was not able to move MSR partition behind the unallocated space using AOMEI as it would not allow me to do so.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-03-05T04:25:47+00:00

    Hi,

    The BIOS update image can remain in the C drive.

    Regarding AOMEI, you must create the unallocated space before the D drive. Then, move the MSR partition.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-05T04:12:05+00:00

    Hi Od Gb,

    Please try:

    md C:\Dell\BIOS\Recovery

    mountvol Y: /s

    cd /d Y:\EFI\Dell\Bios\Recovery

    *move BIOS_PRE.rcv C:\Dell\BIOS\Recovery*

    *dir Y:*

    Post the output.

    Thanks Ramesh Srinivasan!

    I moved the BIOS_PRE.rcv file to disk C and initiated the Windows update again. It has past 8% (where the error was occurring) update downloading, update is fully downloaded and is now starting the installation. Just following up on another poster's questions, should I return this rcv file back to the EFI partition or is it not necessary?

    I understand in the long run, making the EFI partition larger at least up to 250-300Mb would solve the issue. I tried the approach by Ferenc A. using the standard version of the soft, but it would not allow me to move the Unallocated Partition past the Other Partition (16Mb in green rectangle). . . So this was not successful. Any other suggestion to solve this problem would be highly appreciated.

    Thanks again!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-03-05T03:15:51+00:00

    Hi Od Gb,

    Please try:

    md C:\Dell\BIOS\Recovery

    mountvol Y: /s

    cd /d Y:\EFI\Dell\Bios\Recovery

    *move BIOS_PRE.rcv C:\Dell\BIOS\Recovery*

    *dir Y:*

    Post the output.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments