After Windows 11 24h2 Microphone keeps unmuting whenever application tries accesses mic.

Anonymous
2024-12-04T14:14:35+00:00

Using an Razer Siren X mic., with dedicated mute button with is a physical switch (but apparently not, at least learned that with newest Windows 11 24h2), even thou I set mic to be muted all the time, if I open Discord/join call/start a video game (with voice chat disabled), anything that asks for accesses to mic., windows switch from muted (red) state to unmuted (green). It's really concerning privacy vise, if any application can unmute mic. on there own (keeping in mind, the button should cut sounds only from mic., side and not on windows), seen some similar problems with some Logitech headsets too.

Windows/applications should never have ability unmute microphone on there own ! I can understand when it's mute/unmute happens inside windows audio control (like Win+alt+K), but take control over physical device shouldn't be allowed in any case

There's some other strange audio related things too, like Steam not having ability to record/stream sound from specific application with the latest win11 24h2 update, looks like what ever 24h2 did with audio back-end is messed up in more then one way.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

53 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-10T21:35:45+00:00

    Same issue here, different mic. I suspect this has to do with Microsoft Co-Pilot components which were included in this update. I can not yet confirm. Even happens when I sign into OS after having locked the computer. Like others have said, seems to trigger when sound events happen. I have tried enable/disable/update drivers and enable/disable device in Control Panel. Have not yet found a solution. Event log is not clear. I can confirm this issue does not happen on another computer (same make and model) without update 24H2. I purposely waited until Feb. to install the update hoping that the bugs would have been worked out (see other issues with previous updates that were buggy for weeks before patching).

    Microsoft, you are in violation of the HIPPA act in the United States by allowing the mic to randomly turn on. Might be time for a class action lawsuit (times the number of Win11 24H users)!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-10T21:32:34+00:00

    Same issue here, different mic. I suspect this has to do with Microsoft Co-Pilot components which were included in this update. I can not yet confirm. Even happens when I sign into OS after having locked the computer. Like others have said, seems to trigger when sound events happen. I have tried enable/disable/update drivers and enable/disable device in Control Panel. Have not yet found a solution. Event log is not clear. I can confirm this issue does not happen on another computer (same make and model) without update 24H. I purposely waited until Feb. to install the update hoping that the bugs would have been worked out (see other issues with previous updates that were buggy for weeks before patching).

    Microsoft, you are in violation of the HIPPA act in the United States by allowing the mic to randomly turn on. Might be time for a class action lawsuit (times the number of Win11 24H users)!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-09T09:14:48+00:00

    Having the same issue where whenever I enter a game or join a new match in certain games my Fifine Ampligame A8 mics physical switch unmutes its self. Microsoft pls fix this issue asap

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  5. Anonymous
    2025-02-03T09:42:12+00:00

    Built a completely new system since my previous comment, all different parts except the same Antlion ModMic USB Microphone. Fresh Windows 11 Pro 24H2 install, microphone driver is Generic USB Audio provided by Microsoft, version 10.0.26100.3037 signed on 2025-01-24.

    This is a completely unacceptable privacy issue and Microsoft is the only party responsible.

    FIX IT

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments