After Windows 11 24h2 Microphone keeps unmuting whenever application tries accesses mic.

Anonymous
2024-12-04T14:14:35+00:00

Using an Razer Siren X mic., with dedicated mute button with is a physical switch (but apparently not, at least learned that with newest Windows 11 24h2), even thou I set mic to be muted all the time, if I open Discord/join call/start a video game (with voice chat disabled), anything that asks for accesses to mic., windows switch from muted (red) state to unmuted (green). It's really concerning privacy vise, if any application can unmute mic. on there own (keeping in mind, the button should cut sounds only from mic., side and not on windows), seen some similar problems with some Logitech headsets too.

Windows/applications should never have ability unmute microphone on there own ! I can understand when it's mute/unmute happens inside windows audio control (like Win+alt+K), but take control over physical device shouldn't be allowed in any case

There's some other strange audio related things too, like Steam not having ability to record/stream sound from specific application with the latest win11 24h2 update, looks like what ever 24h2 did with audio back-end is messed up in more then one way.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

53 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-04-22T18:56:34+00:00

    This power management does change the way the USB hub extender is handled on USBc - it made it unstable. By keeping the power state on, the USB hub is stable especially when Windows comes out of Lock mode (CTRL + ALT + DEL, lock) This is on a Dell Vostro laptop.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-04-22T18:52:08+00:00

    Thank you Jon, Luca, and Metal Jazz for your update to the situation. Mine has not been solved yet with the recent patches that came in April.

    May I ask what your set up is and what version of USB driver you have? I have a Dell laptop (12th gen Intel chip) with Logitech 960 headset. I have experimented with updated drivers from NVidia, Genesys, and Intel audio drivers (From the Dell support site) with no solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-04-22T18:51:51+00:00

    Thank you Jon, Luca, and Metal Jazz for your update to the situation. Mine has not been solved yet with the recent patches that came in April.

    May I ask what your set up is and what version of USB driver you have? I have a Dell laptop (12th gen Intel chip) with Logitech 960 headset. I have experimented with updated drivers from NVidia, Genesys, and Intel audio drivers (From the Dell support site) with no solution.

    Apparently there have been changes to the audio API... whether they are related to copilot or "audio enhancements" that use AI as part of the "studio pack" I do not yet know. Enterprise versions of Windows 11 without copilot are NOT exhibiting this issue. 24h2 has been nothing but problems since November of 2024 and I thought I was safe in Feb of 2025 but it only got worse in March and April patches. A total bucket of cr$$. it should have never been released into production as it obviously wasn't ready. I wonder if Microsoft's intent was to train their AI by sampling all these open mics?

    I am also experimenting with turning off TLS2 network protocol. This makes copilot not have telemetry with the mother ship. The effect on the mic unmute issue is not conclusive yet. I would like to hear what others are experiencing. 1) the time spent by end users debugging Windows 24h2 updates should be compensated. You're paying you're programmers to cause this mess that we have to try to fix ourselves because Microsoft is silent. 2) if it is found out the audio issue is caused by Big Brother copilot listening, this should be a class action. Even if they try to hide behind a clause like "we periodically take audio samples in order to improve our service" which wasn't openly disclosed with 24h2.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-04-22T18:35:23+00:00

    Check to see if 24H2 was installed in your windows update. This has been the cause of the problem in Windows 11, and has something to do with CoPilot being integrated into the operating system as machines under an Enterprise license with no Copilot are not exhibiting this issue.

    Apparently there have been changes to the audio API... whether they are related to copilot or "audio enhancements" that use AI as part of the "studio pack" I do not yet know. I am still trying to solve on my Dell laptop (12th gen Intel), Logi 960 usb headset, and am experimenting with the right driver combination.

    Causes:

    1. **Driver Conflicts**: The update might have altered how drivers interact with the microphone, leading to unintended behavior. Everytime a sound plays (Ie when the system boots up and plays the 'welcome' sound) the mic un-mutes.
    2. **Exclusive Mode Settings**: Applications taking exclusive control of the microphone could override mute settings.
    3. **Communication Settings**: Windows may adjust audio settings when it detects communication activities.

    Solutions:

    1. **Update or Rollback Drivers**: Check for updated USB drivers from your microphone or Computer manufacturer. If the issue persists, try rolling back to an older driver.
    2. **Disable Exclusive Mode**:

       - Right-click the sound icon in the system tray.

       - Select "Properties" > "Advanced" tab.

       - Uncheck "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device".

    1. Disable "Focus Mode" within Audio enhancements in Audio settings.
    • found in same section as above.
    1. **Adjust Communication Settings**:

       - Right-click the sound icon in the system tray.

       - Under the "Communications" tab, select "Do nothing".

    FOR Above (1-3) you should check this again everytime Windows updates as it seems to go back in and restore default to ON.

    1. **Test on Another PC**: Connect your microphone to a different PC to determine if the issue is specific to your current setup.
    2. **Contact Manufacturer Support**: Reach out to your microphone's support team for firmware updates or additional troubleshooting.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-04-22T15:19:21+00:00

    I have this issue as of a few days ago on Windows 10. This is a major privacy issue. I now need to unplug my mic when it is not being used because it automatically unmutes itself.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments