VS Code uninstalled after 24H2 update.

Anonymous
2024-12-12T22:28:24+00:00

Hi! Today I update my work PC with the 24H2 update of windows. After the installation I realized that Visual Studio Code disappeared without any sign of life. A sudden uninstallation of the program. So, I had to download install it again, with all the extensions and configurations restored.

These are my specs:

Edición Windows 11 Home Single Language

Versión 24H2

Se instaló el ‎12/‎12/‎2024

Compilación del SO 26100.2605

Experiencia Paquete de experiencia de características de Windows 1000.26100.36.0

Procesador 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11370H @ 3.30GHz 3.00 GHz

RAM instalada 16.0 GB (15.7 GB utilizable)

Id. del dispositivo 92E8ACEA-868F-4F35-982B-B0F67EB275FF

Tipo de sistema Sistema operativo de 64 bits, procesador x64

Lápiz y entrada táctil Compatibilidad con entrada táctil con 10 puntos táctiles

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-07T10:07:13+00:00

    VS Code did the same for me this morning. It turned out that the exe to launch the programme had nested itself one folder further hence all shortcuts were broken. It used to be at C:\Users"User"\AppData\Local\Programs\Microsoft VS Code\Code.exe but now it's at C:\Users"User"\AppData\Local\Programs\Microsoft VS Code\_\Code.exe

    Updating the taskbar shortcut can be done by right clicking the icon, right clicking "Visual Studio Code", selecting "Properties" and then editing the "Target".

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-06T14:41:44+00:00

    Same happened here, and I can't find it anywhere. I guess I'll just install again but I had to look up if there was an issue with this first.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-21T20:08:26+00:00

    I also lost my VS Code installation (installed via the Microsoft Store) after the Windows 11 24H2 update. When viewing the store page, it says the application is installed and can be viewed in the start menu. There is no trace of the application in my start menu and all previous links are broken!

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-16T04:30:43+00:00

    Windows prevents Python Idle to run the python scipts by context menu and efforts to add "Edit with Idle" Context menu fails. Both Vscode Authomatic uninstallation And Idle disabling occured after updating windows to 24h2.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-02-16T04:25:10+00:00

    I faced a similar issue; my VS code was yanked out of my system as well after the update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments