VS Code uninstalled after 24H2 update.

Anonymous
2024-12-12T22:28:24+00:00

Hi! Today I update my work PC with the 24H2 update of windows. After the installation I realized that Visual Studio Code disappeared without any sign of life. A sudden uninstallation of the program. So, I had to download install it again, with all the extensions and configurations restored.

These are my specs:

Edición Windows 11 Home Single Language

Versión 24H2

Se instaló el ‎12/‎12/‎2024

Compilación del SO 26100.2605

Experiencia Paquete de experiencia de características de Windows 1000.26100.36.0

Procesador 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11370H @ 3.30GHz 3.00 GHz

RAM instalada 16.0 GB (15.7 GB utilizable)

Id. del dispositivo 92E8ACEA-868F-4F35-982B-B0F67EB275FF

Tipo de sistema Sistema operativo de 64 bits, procesador x64

Lápiz y entrada táctil Compatibilidad con entrada táctil con 10 puntos táctiles

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-12-16T09:01:28+00:00

    I faced a similar issue; my VS code was yanked out of my system as well after the update. For some unknown reason. Now I am not sure if this is the only software that vanished or there is some more.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-07T10:07:13+00:00

    VS Code did the same for me this morning. It turned out that the exe to launch the programme had nested itself one folder further hence all shortcuts were broken. It used to be at C:\Users"User"\AppData\Local\Programs\Microsoft VS Code\Code.exe but now it's at C:\Users"User"\AppData\Local\Programs\Microsoft VS Code\_\Code.exe

    Updating the taskbar shortcut can be done by right clicking the icon, right clicking "Visual Studio Code", selecting "Properties" and then editing the "Target".

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-12-19T12:35:06+00:00

    "we haven't heard a similar report" seriously? I suppose that quite a few people are tired and don't manifest anymore...

    That last update of Windows has been a killer: I lost Visual Studio Code as well, quite a few tools and all of a sudden, after 2 months and a half, Microsoft has decided that my Win11 valid licence wasn't... valid any more.

    No need to respond, the damage is done, and I've lost CHF 278 to re-activate the free update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-12-19T18:33:38+00:00

    I have noticed the same problem today on Windows 11 24H2. Firstly I tried to reinstall from Microsoft Store (where I previously downloaded VS Code) but for some reason it said 'installed', so I reinstalled VS Code with the installer from the official page and now all works fine. All extensions and opened files have been automatically recovered.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-12-19T17:08:58+00:00

    I have the same issue. Even uninstalling and re-installing hasn't helped. I still don't have VSCode

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments