Critical System Issues Following Windows 11 24H2 Update: Boot Errors, System Freeze, and Bitlocker Access Denied

Anonymous
2025-01-15T14:00:56+00:00

Two days back I received the Windows 11 24H2 Update on my system "HP Omen 16". Following the installation, I observed two identical entries for 'Windows 11 on volume 3' within the boot menu. No selection was made, and the system successfully logged into Windows after a 30-second delay.

The following workday, I consulted with our IT department regarding this behavior. Upon restarting the system in their presence, the dual boot entries reappeared. Attempts to select between the entries were unsuccessful. Proceeding to 'Change defaults or choose other options' and selecting the 'Repair' option resulted in a system freeze, characterized by an automatic reboot loop.

Subsequent attempts at system recovery using built-in tools encountered the following error:

"Your PC/Device needs to be repaired.

A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.

Error Code: 0xc0000225"

![](https://learn-attachment.microsoft.com/api/attachments/d99e4b91-e430-4162-a12e-e9bb43699141?platform=QnA

Furthermore, accessing the Recovery Environment by pressing F1 also resulted in a system freeze and reboot loop.

Efforts to utilize a bootable USB drive for recovery were hindered by a request for the Bitlocker Encryption key. It is suspected that the Bitlocker keys may have been invalidated or altered during the Windows 11 24H2 update process, as previously saved keys are no longer functional.

Could anyone please advise/assist on how to proceed? Additionally, I’d like to confirm if there are any extra steps I should take to avoid BitLocker recovery issues while performing this.https://learn-attachment.microsoft.com/api/attachments/e8b5c6b5-ddd4-45e1-a55e-3e0f9b2c43f9?platform=QnA

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-03T16:29:18+00:00

    Had same issue, I was able to go into msconfig then startup and delete the other Windows (just leave your original alone). The update is not working for me I also have an Omen. fyi

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-01-29T20:41:41+00:00

    This update has destoyed my laptop!! I get blue screen of death when booting and after three attempts at booting i go into recovery environment where i cant uninstall updates and the pc wont let me run a dism command after i run sfc in the command line. Any more information that could help please?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Airbus A350 8,015 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-01-20T18:02:08+00:00

    Hello,

    If you delete the $Windows.~BT folder, you will have to reinstall the updates that were in progress of downloading and installing.

    If you were in progress of downloading 24H2, you will have to install 24H2 from the start again.

    Any data on your PC will be left intact.

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-01-20T16:47:16+00:00

    Hello,

    You can safely delete the first entry, the one that says, "Windows 11 ($Windows.~BT\NewOS\WINDOWS)".

    Just don't delete the second entry.

    After you delete the first entry, you shouldn't encounter the "Select an Operating System" screen.

    Let me know how this goes.

    I know that if I delete the above-mentioned entry, the "Select an Operating System" screen won’t appear. What happens if I delete the "$Windows.~BT" folder? And what about the 24H2 updates? Please advise.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Airbus A350 8,015 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-01-20T16:24:23+00:00

    Hello,

    You can safely delete the first entry, the one that says, "Windows 11 ($Windows.~BT\NewOS\WINDOWS)".

    Just don't delete the second entry.

    After you delete the first entry, you shouldn't encounter the "Select an Operating System" screen.

    Let me know how this goes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments