Whatsapp callers suddenly hear echo on their end only

Anonymous
2025-01-31T23:27:39+00:00

After working fine for a couple of years, now whatsapp desktop is a problem - but not for me, for the person on the other end, who hears a full echo of everything they say.

I don't hear any echo. And, when I try the same call on my mobile instead of desktop, no problem.

This is recent, only the past 10 days or so.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Input and language

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-09T17:10:06+00:00

    Thank you Jay, very pleased to understand what has caused the issue, but I have been unable to Roll Back to the previous version. I downloaded version 2.2447.5.0, from https://whatsapp-desktop.en.uptodown.com/windows  but unable to install this version as WhatsApp says this version now expired and forces you to the latest version. I think we may have to wait until WhatsApp release a fix!

    Unless someone comes up with a solution?

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-10T00:22:17+00:00

    Hi Peter,

    Try downloading one of the later ones released in December. Either 2.2450.6.0 or 2.2449.2.0 Though I'm not sure how long they will be viable for, it looks like any version older than 60 days is automatically updated. I've disabled auto updates on the Microsoft store so I hope that will bypass this.

    Hope this helps,

    Jay

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-10T00:25:03+00:00

    Hi Adi,

    I got an older version from uptodown https://whatsapp-desktop.en.uptodown.com/windows/versions#google\_vignette

    You might need to go for one of the versions from late December, Whatsapp is auto updating any version that is too old. Try disabling updates in the Microsoft Store to stop WhatsApp from auto updating to the version with the echo issue.

    Hope this helps,

    Jay

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-10T06:43:43+00:00

    Thank you, this version worked for me https://whatsapp-desktop.en.uptodown.com/windows/download/1042948296 

    The Jan 13 version also has this bug apparently.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-02-10T15:31:38+00:00

    Same bug for me.

    Windows 10. Was working fine for years until Jan 2025.

    Any fix instead of downgrade?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments