Possible broken drive keeps crashing my pc, how do I fix this? Is it corrupted or physically broken?

Anonymous
2025-01-15T19:39:38+00:00

Hi, my pc has been giving me BSOD like 10 times a day for the past 10 or more days because of corrupted files or ram issues (I'm not sure), I tried checking for the drive integrity and this came out:

"Error Checking (Windows (C:)

Repair this drive

Windows found errors on this drive that need to be repaired. Close this dialog box, and then repair the drive."

So out of curiosity I tried doing the same to my other drive and came out with the same issue. How do I fix this? Do I need to reset my PC? Do I have to buy a new drive? Or do I need to perform a fresh install of windows 11?

Bsod errors I've been getting:

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

And other I can't remember now

They usually happen when I start my PC, and I'll get 5 or 10 of them one after the other before my PC starts working "properly"

After I manage I get through the bsod errors my PC seems to run just fine for some time before giving me more errors (usually 3-4 hours)

I can provide dump files if explained how to do so

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
David-M 126.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-01-20T13:18:53+00:00

Glad to help.

Best regards.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-01-18T21:48:52+00:00

    Hi David, I located the problem and proceeded to fix it on my own, it was a faulty ram stick that made my PC crash.

    I changed both of them (to be sure because I didn't know which of the two was the faultybone) with an old one and tried installing windows 11 again

    This time it didn't give me an error or bsod, it went through the whole download process and now it's installing it

    Edit: I'm going through the setup for the language and keyboard language, everything is working "fine" other than the fact that I'm now using an old ram which isn't really powerful and everything's kinda slow, also for some reason it gave me an error when changing keyboard language but after the second time it went through without issues

    Thank you for your help, it was very much appreciated 👍

    Edit: help David, everything is working fine now but my drive (D:) doesn't exist anymore, it's like my drive vanished from existence

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. David-M 126.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-01-18T12:42:23+00:00

    Sorry for the delay in reply. I've been offline.

    It's bad news, unfortunately.

    BSOD during a clean install, along with the other behaviors you experienced, indicate a hardware problem.

    Your best option is to consult a technician you trust or the computer manufacturer's authorized service center to check your PC's hardware.

    Feel free to ask back any questions. Click on the "Reply" button below my reply.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-01-17T22:48:47+00:00

    Hi David, sorry if I text you this late

    I tried letting my PC rest for some hours and try again one last time

    So that's what I did, but this time instead of giving me an error once it reached 11% it went on to 35% and then just gave me a bsod

    Is this good or bad news?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. David-M 126.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-01-17T19:03:45+00:00

    Yes. I suggest you consult a technician you trust or the authorized assistance from the computer manufacturer.

    I can't remotely determine with certainty which hardware the problem is with. An on-site inspection is required in this specific case.

    If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Click on the "Reply" button below my reply.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments