Possible broken drive keeps crashing my pc, how do I fix this? Is it corrupted or physically broken?

Anonymous
2025-01-15T19:39:38+00:00

Hi, my pc has been giving me BSOD like 10 times a day for the past 10 or more days because of corrupted files or ram issues (I'm not sure), I tried checking for the drive integrity and this came out:

"Error Checking (Windows (C:)

Repair this drive

Windows found errors on this drive that need to be repaired. Close this dialog box, and then repair the drive."

So out of curiosity I tried doing the same to my other drive and came out with the same issue. How do I fix this? Do I need to reset my PC? Do I have to buy a new drive? Or do I need to perform a fresh install of windows 11?

Bsod errors I've been getting:

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

And other I can't remember now

They usually happen when I start my PC, and I'll get 5 or 10 of them one after the other before my PC starts working "properly"

After I manage I get through the bsod errors my PC seems to run just fine for some time before giving me more errors (usually 3-4 hours)

I can provide dump files if explained how to do so

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
David-M 126.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-01-20T13:18:53+00:00

Glad to help.

Best regards.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. David-M 126.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-01-16T19:38:14+00:00

    In step 7 of creating the installation media, I left this:
    "Note that the files on the USB flash drive will be deleted. Make a backup of the files if necessary."

    So, to avoid losing the files stored on the USB Flash Drive that you intend to use for the procedure, I suggest that you make a copy of them. This can be on another external storage device or on the notebook that you will use to create the installation media.
    After finishing the clean installation, you can put the files back on the USB Flash Drive.

    Feel free to ask back any questions. Click on the "Reply" button below my reply.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-01-16T19:32:28+00:00

    Thank you very much David, I Will try that and update you, sadly it will probably take some time since my PC locked itself again for another 2 hours, I will try create an installation media on my old laptop, unless I can do it even if the USB flash drive isn't complete empty.

    I have one but it's full of important documents, does it still work for my PC if I create the installation media in that flashdrive even if it has other files inside too?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. David-M 126.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-01-16T19:23:34+00:00

    Thanks for the clarification.

    I will provide detailed step-by-step instructions. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

    To perform a clean install, you will need an installation media.

    If you don't have an installation media, create one using the Media Creation Tool.

    You can create the installation media on an empty USB flash drive with at least 8GB.

    Below are instructions for creating installation media on a USB flash drive.

    (If you are unable to create installation media using the computer that is having problems, you can use another computer running Windows. Regardless of whether it is Windows 10 or 11.)

    1. Download the tool from the link below;

    https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2156295

    1. Double-click on the downloaded file to run the tool;
    2. If prompted by UAC (User Account Control), click on "Yes";
    3. Read the terms and click "Accept" if you agree;
    4. Leave the "Use the recommended options for this PC" box checked and click "Next."
    5. Select "USB flash drive" and click "Next".
    6. Connect the USB flash drive you want to use, click the "Refresh drive list" link, select the USB flash drive, and click "Next";

    (Note that the files on the USB flash drive will be deleted. Make a backup of the files if necessary.)

    1. Wait for the procedure to finish and click "Finish" when the USB flash drive is ready.

    If necessary, make a copy of your files to an external storage device or a cloud storage service. A clean install will remove all data stored on the system drive.

    Then, access the article below, go to the end of the article, and expand "Clean install" under "Steps to reinstall Windows with media" to see the instructions.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/rei...

    In your case, as I have already given you the step-by-step instructions for creating the installation media, start with step 2.

    Feel free to ask back any questions. Click on the "Reply" button below my reply.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-01-16T19:06:00+00:00

    If there aren't any better solutions then yes, I'm willing to do a clean install of windows, I just need instructions on how to do so

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments