why does microsoft force an update in the middle of the trading day?

Anonymous
2025-02-26T15:47:12+00:00

I day trade and suddenly my networking stopped working.

Why? I have settings that tell MS to delay updates. AND I tell it when it should not install updates. In addition to that, it installed .NET update KB5052978, which breaks other applications.

Because Microsoft decided to install updates in the middle of the trading day and its updates are far more important than my losing thousands of dollars because I'm now out of the market.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Sumit 44,436 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2025-02-27T02:45:52+00:00

Perfect - now we will not allow you to move to Mac :)

I quote it from the article, which holds good for 11 as well.

To Enable or Disable Automatic Updates using Group Policy

Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10 | Tutorials

1 Open the Local Group Policy Editor - by using gpedit.msc in the search bar.

2 In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)

Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update

3 In the right pane of Windows Update in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Configure Automatic Updates policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4 B) Select 2. Notify for download and auto install or in the "Configure automatic updating" drop down menu under Options, click/tap on OK.

In this way, Windows would never download updates unless you press the check for updates button, thereby preventing a restart.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

7 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Sumit 44,436 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-02-28T02:57:25+00:00

    ">

    Actually, I did make it work, thanks to another community member who showed me a step I had missed in disabling updates.

    You can always ask for assistance on any Windows issue!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-27T12:07:14+00:00

    Actually, I did make it work, thanks to another community member who showed me a step I had missed in disabling updates.

    About your trader "buddies", LOL!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-27T11:41:24+00:00

    You can't make it work and I can. And my trader buddies are friendlier.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments