why does microsoft force an update in the middle of the trading day?

Anonymous
2025-02-26T15:47:12+00:00

I day trade and suddenly my networking stopped working.

Why? I have settings that tell MS to delay updates. AND I tell it when it should not install updates. In addition to that, it installed .NET update KB5052978, which breaks other applications.

Because Microsoft decided to install updates in the middle of the trading day and its updates are far more important than my losing thousands of dollars because I'm now out of the market.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Sumit 44,436 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2025-02-27T02:45:52+00:00

Perfect - now we will not allow you to move to Mac :)

I quote it from the article, which holds good for 11 as well.

To Enable or Disable Automatic Updates using Group Policy

Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10 | Tutorials

1 Open the Local Group Policy Editor - by using gpedit.msc in the search bar.

2 In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)

Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update

3 In the right pane of Windows Update in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Configure Automatic Updates policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4 B) Select 2. Notify for download and auto install or in the "Configure automatic updating" drop down menu under Options, click/tap on OK.

In this way, Windows would never download updates unless you press the check for updates button, thereby preventing a restart.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

7 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-27T03:31:07+00:00

    Day trader, right? Then you're glued to your screen(s) all day, like my day trader buddies.

    I'm not a trader, but I am glued to my screen all day, for other reasons. That's why I'm able to notice this icon in my system tray, when it appears:

    See that? It means Windows is trying to get your attention for an update. Usually, that icon is accompanied by a message that looks much like this one:

    Can't miss it. As soon as I see that, I hit the dropdown arrow next to "Restart now" which allows me to re-schedule the restart. It takes me to a page in the Settings app where I see this ...

    ... which lets me pick the day and time of my choosing for the restart. I'm glad I have this opportunity, because it puts me in charge of when the restart will occur. I like that. (I like it better than setting a policy to interfere with updates. I don't want to miss receiving an important bug fix.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T16:01:17+00:00

    Pro.

    I removed the .NET update, which I was forced to do after it was first installed on 2/21.

    I'm really getting fed up with this.

    A friend, technical expert (like me, incidentally) and tech journalist who used to work for Microsoft advised me to move to MacOS. If you keep this up, I may just do that!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Sumit 44,436 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-02-26T15:50:11+00:00

    Sorry to hear about your experience.

    We can force to delay updates using a GPO. Are you using Windows Home or Pro edition?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments