DISM RestoreHealth stuck at 62.3% [Info / Resolved]

Anonymous
2025-02-24T16:34:33+00:00

This is not a question. I would give some information about the above message, I found some stuff arround this subject and I want to share it with you all. My question; Did you also see the problems and it's progress as I did? I'll explain. Read on.... 🤔

(Applies manly for those who are using Windows 11 (Pro) 24H2 Build 26100.3194 and below. Maybe the problem also occurs with 21, 22, 23H2? Reason may differ but the problem maybe the same. Can't check that anymore. I am already sitting at the latest Build of 24H2 itself. I want to be up to date and not left behind with MS versions.)

I see a lot of entry's about the above issue. Unfortunately I can't comment on them because the thread is locked and can not be replied at. For this reason the same question is asked by someone else again and again etc. Policy's..... This has a negative effect. I would rather see this in 1 thread with 100 pages than this......

This issue has been asked a lot; Why? The reason for it; people look at the value and it seems to be stuck at 62,3% for quite some time. (Many minutes. Hour or hours even.) The question is understandable because everyone is asking; What is my system doing?

I self ran against this problem for the first time after an 24H2 26100.3037 update to 24H2 26100.3194. I had never ever had this problem and after cleaning the Component Store a /CheckHealth DISM command; It found problems. So I started to fix it with the DISM /RestoreHealth command and till my amazement it got stuck at 62,3% !!

(I found: there was an issue build in the update 26100.3194. (Could be repeated at a separate VM) After an /AnalyzeComponentStore it found a number of reclaimable packages, so I ran the /StartComponentCleanup command. Check it's health again and suddenly it found problems. In my case a "photon" package (some internal Windows stuff) inside the C:\Windows\WinSxS directory that got damaged and needed repair.... It's called:

amd64_userexperience-photon_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.26100.1591_none_faf85d9f2170dfcf )

"What is my system doing??...." Hanging? In the contrary; Your system is quite busy with checking, downloading (Only with the /Online switch), applying. checking etc. How can you see that? There is one useful command that tails the log file of the DISM command. Start PowerShell as an admin and enter the following command.

Get-Content C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log -tail 10 -wait

Watch your Powershell screen; It's adding lines at the bottom each time the CBS.log got updated by the DISM command. You can see it's progress here. It should add new lines on a regular basis. The DISM command is really finished when you see: "Ending TrustedInstaller finalization." Terminating the proces premature won't help. At the next /RestoreHealth command it will start the whole proces again, checking, checking, downloading, applying, checking.

You have to let it run as long as it takes it to finish. I my case I have a fast system, disks & internet and for me this Restoring fase took me 20 minutes to complete. (for me? Strangely very slow.) On slower machines it can take hours of even longer. Be patient!! It speed is depending upon how fast your system is. If you see NO lines added to your Powershell window; then there is something else wrong! You should see progress!!

When DISM is finished you can see that the service; Windows Modules Installer (aka TrustedInstaller) will shut itself down after a while. Reason? Nothing to do..

For people that have 24H2: I must conclude that 2 reclaimable packages will be there to stay forever. (until 25H2) They belong to the base version 26100.1742 and are extremely superseded. Can't be fixed or removed. Did it once (together with other 1742 packages) inside my VM and it messed up Windows 24H2 really good!! Only a new reinstall of putting a backup back will fix the damaged Windows 11 24H2.

The 2 unreclaimable packages are;

  • [Microsoft-Windows-FodMetadataServicing-Desktop-Metadata-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.26100.1742]
  • [Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~26100.1742.1.10]

Both packages has the status; "is a top-level package and is deeply superseded"

They are only visible inside the C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log file!! Proof? Rename the CBS.log file. Start a DISM /AnalyzeComponentStore command and after completing search the file for that status. Only those 2 will have that status. Those are the 2 unreclaimable packages.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-05-04T22:48:09+00:00

    I greatly appreciate your post. It helped me a lot.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-05-05T18:09:15+00:00

    Thanks. I appreciate your comment a lot. That's why I am here. Helping people! I am a tech guy and tiered of ranting at each side MS, Linux etc. They don't care or listen. They ignore me totally. They have the power to solve nothing. I see their crap they are selling each day. "NEW... BETTER....." Ha. Since the introduction they told us crap with their introduction of Win 11. You must have up to date hardware.... Nice fairy tail. I and many others proved by skipping their demands the old hardware just ran a smooth. Just a fairy tail and a marketing strategy to go to the shops and buy new hardware. BS! I even prove (Still to this day) They are selling that BS every day!!! Their latest fail; 3915. Leaving us all with 1742 old shit they don't want to delete. Introducing 3912 that do their main thing and because only 4 packages that are 3915 they call the whole BS an 3915 update,,,,

    I have a script that can prove that I am not ranting. They try to sell us BS with their latest 2 updates and cause problems to many people. I want to fix stuff. MS is not helping! All you can get is the old 1742 version or the 2033 version. Only those who pay for their MSDN subscription they release the latest version to them only. and thank God they release their MVS ISO's sometimes by Usenet...

    And using their version I can solve things and always see their old crap again. Analyze their Component Store? Their answer is can be cleaned Just 2 are reclaimable..... Yeah you can clean stuff all you want those 2 packages are there to stay. Old 1742 stuff they refuse to delete!!! I fixed that! deleting one package and the whole problem is fixed and gone!!! Analyzing that Store,,,, They claim everything is old and will not used anymore. Superseded Well not used delete that old crap then.... Uhmmmm.... Nope!!..... I also watch this space and see things. So called experts and even MS guys them self claiming that this fix will fix everything. Yep tried the whole book they can throw at you.. Solving nothing!!!

    I am ranting... I know. But I am really happy with your feedback. If I have helped you to solve your problem.... I am glad! I am a fixer that is not payed to fix things. I am a good analist and not scared to look deep underneath the hood and see what is failing here. If I can help I am there for you! And with you maybe many other people too!!......

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-05-05T19:16:41+00:00

    Yes. I recognize a bunch of problems. SFC Repairing 32 files? WTF? SFC is not saying that!!, Stuck at 62.3%. Yep I recognize that also. With 1 PowerShell command you can see that it's not stuck! It's downloading and repairing stuff. Revealed that some long time ago; This command will reveal what that inefficient CBS engine is doing: "Get-Content C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log -tail 10 -wait" In the end it will not solve your problem!!!

    To solve your problems I can be short about it: Install the Inplace Install version of MVS ISO 26100.3915 that MS will not give us if you don't have a MSDN subscription (I even have one either...) Some people are so kind to release that version by using Usenet. Download that version and press Setup and after a while all your problems will be gone!! I can give you endless advice which are complicated to understand and maybe solves nothing. Time to point you to a fast and quick solution: Download that MVS ISO and do a Inplace install without losing any data. The quickest way to solve things!!!

    If you read "Usenet" and don't understand what I mean? Don't worry. There is a whole other world behind us all they are denying .. I do have that 3915 version and I have no means to share it with you. By using Usenet I can send you a link that will download that version that will solve your problems within one hour!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-05-08T02:16:54+00:00

    Sure, that would be greatly appreciated! However, I'm new to all this computer stuff so you may need to guide me through the steps more than usual. I don't want to cause you any trouble, so is that fine with you? I'm ready if you are :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-05-08T10:44:34+00:00

    That one word. "Appreciated" did it!!! If I can? I will help you any way I can!!!..........

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments