DISM RestoreHealth stuck at 62.3% [Info / Resolved]

Anonymous
2025-02-24T16:34:33+00:00

This is not a question. I would give some information about the above message, I found some stuff arround this subject and I want to share it with you all. My question; Did you also see the problems and it's progress as I did? I'll explain. Read on.... 🤔

(Applies manly for those who are using Windows 11 (Pro) 24H2 Build 26100.3194 and below. Maybe the problem also occurs with 21, 22, 23H2? Reason may differ but the problem maybe the same. Can't check that anymore. I am already sitting at the latest Build of 24H2 itself. I want to be up to date and not left behind with MS versions.)

I see a lot of entry's about the above issue. Unfortunately I can't comment on them because the thread is locked and can not be replied at. For this reason the same question is asked by someone else again and again etc. Policy's..... This has a negative effect. I would rather see this in 1 thread with 100 pages than this......

This issue has been asked a lot; Why? The reason for it; people look at the value and it seems to be stuck at 62,3% for quite some time. (Many minutes. Hour or hours even.) The question is understandable because everyone is asking; What is my system doing?

I self ran against this problem for the first time after an 24H2 26100.3037 update to 24H2 26100.3194. I had never ever had this problem and after cleaning the Component Store a /CheckHealth DISM command; It found problems. So I started to fix it with the DISM /RestoreHealth command and till my amazement it got stuck at 62,3% !!

(I found: there was an issue build in the update 26100.3194. (Could be repeated at a separate VM) After an /AnalyzeComponentStore it found a number of reclaimable packages, so I ran the /StartComponentCleanup command. Check it's health again and suddenly it found problems. In my case a "photon" package (some internal Windows stuff) inside the C:\Windows\WinSxS directory that got damaged and needed repair.... It's called:

amd64_userexperience-photon_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.26100.1591_none_faf85d9f2170dfcf )

"What is my system doing??...." Hanging? In the contrary; Your system is quite busy with checking, downloading (Only with the /Online switch), applying. checking etc. How can you see that? There is one useful command that tails the log file of the DISM command. Start PowerShell as an admin and enter the following command.

Get-Content C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log -tail 10 -wait

Watch your Powershell screen; It's adding lines at the bottom each time the CBS.log got updated by the DISM command. You can see it's progress here. It should add new lines on a regular basis. The DISM command is really finished when you see: "Ending TrustedInstaller finalization." Terminating the proces premature won't help. At the next /RestoreHealth command it will start the whole proces again, checking, checking, downloading, applying, checking.

You have to let it run as long as it takes it to finish. I my case I have a fast system, disks & internet and for me this Restoring fase took me 20 minutes to complete. (for me? Strangely very slow.) On slower machines it can take hours of even longer. Be patient!! It speed is depending upon how fast your system is. If you see NO lines added to your Powershell window; then there is something else wrong! You should see progress!!

When DISM is finished you can see that the service; Windows Modules Installer (aka TrustedInstaller) will shut itself down after a while. Reason? Nothing to do..

For people that have 24H2: I must conclude that 2 reclaimable packages will be there to stay forever. (until 25H2) They belong to the base version 26100.1742 and are extremely superseded. Can't be fixed or removed. Did it once (together with other 1742 packages) inside my VM and it messed up Windows 24H2 really good!! Only a new reinstall of putting a backup back will fix the damaged Windows 11 24H2.

The 2 unreclaimable packages are;

  • [Microsoft-Windows-FodMetadataServicing-Desktop-Metadata-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.26100.1742]
  • [Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~26100.1742.1.10]

Both packages has the status; "is a top-level package and is deeply superseded"

They are only visible inside the C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log file!! Proof? Rename the CBS.log file. Start a DISM /AnalyzeComponentStore command and after completing search the file for that status. Only those 2 will have that status. Those are the 2 unreclaimable packages.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-04-19T15:18:49+00:00

    DISM RestoreHealth stuck at 62.3%

    Hello everyone,

    I'm sharing the solution that worked for me.

    Download FixWin 11

    https://www.thewindowsclub.com/fixwin-windows-pc-repair-software


    Go to System Fixes

    In the first line, Windows component store is corrupt. Repair it using Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management (DISM) and

    Click Fix

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-05-01T16:35:18+00:00

    It looks nice I must say. I only have one problem with these kind of programs. Where is the analyze part of all of this? Blind clicking on buttons without knowing what it does can you get in trouble. I am also missing; "Creating a System restore point" that if things go wrong you can always go back before the change. I am not willing to fix things if there is no need of fixing things in the first place.

    It would be a better option to analyze your system if there are problems and show only those things which needs or can be fixed. There is a risk of clicking on the a fix button and have to reinstall Windows again because the fix caused some problems. These kind of program should made monkey proof to protect the layman from clicking on any button.

    I rather do it by hand because after an investigation I know what's wrong with it and how to solve it.

    Those 2 packages which Windows claims are reclaimable (they are not!!) during a DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore can be solved so that the 2 drops down to 0. It's no small thing to delete a package so I wait if any future updates doesn't go terrible wrong. I use a VM for that purpose.
    I can safely now say the this command will delete the offending package. After a DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup a second DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore will show that there is no packages anymore which can be reclaimed. Zero! (as it should be)

    Deleting the offending package:
    DISM /Online /Remove-Package /Packagename:Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~26100.1742.1.10

    In this case I know the cause and how to fix it. One stupid package from the first edition (26100.1742) that (like 56 other 1742 ones) are never gonna be used anymore. All superseded by a current release version like (at this moment); 26100.3915. (not excactly true. Windows reports 26100.3915 but under the hood there are 1x 3910, 57x 3912 and only 4x 3915. Only by those existing 4 packages it's called "3915" If they were absent it would be "3912" Seems to normal since the past 2 latest updates.... Beforehand? They ALL had the same build number!)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-05-03T02:17:11+00:00

    After I execute "Get-Content C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log -tail 10 -wait", I can't seem to execute another command after this in the same window. Should I open a new window and then execute "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth"? I have corrupted system32 files and one of my friends told me that I should do the DISM restorehealth command, but it wasn't working so I came here and executed the Get-content one. I'm new to all this computer command stuff and idk what to do :<

    (Sorry if I rambled about off-topic subjects, I have a hard time staying focused on smth lol)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-05-03T21:41:03+00:00

    No! Executing this command is a completely a separate call, It's just watching the CBS log. Nothing else If you want to start an other process? Will be quite!

    This command will watch the internal updates of Windows only or updates. What do you expect? You update something else? No reaction from Windows here! Don't think about rambling!!!! Your not! Many other people have complaints. Relax!! Tell me the circumstances and I will fix that.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-05-04T16:54:11+00:00

    Let me list everything that's going on so far with my pc.

    • I keep getting bluescreens
    • I ran sfc /scannow and found out that I have corrupted system 32 files
    • I ran DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth, but it got stuck at 62.3% so I came here
    • After DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth finishes, I keep getting a message that says, "Error: 0x800f081f The source files could not be found. Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077. The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log"

    What do I do now???

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments