DISM RestoreHealth stuck at 62.3% [Info / Resolved]

Anonymous
2025-02-24T16:34:33+00:00

This is not a question. I would give some information about the above message, I found some stuff arround this subject and I want to share it with you all. My question; Did you also see the problems and it's progress as I did? I'll explain. Read on.... 🤔

(Applies manly for those who are using Windows 11 (Pro) 24H2 Build 26100.3194 and below. Maybe the problem also occurs with 21, 22, 23H2? Reason may differ but the problem maybe the same. Can't check that anymore. I am already sitting at the latest Build of 24H2 itself. I want to be up to date and not left behind with MS versions.)

I see a lot of entry's about the above issue. Unfortunately I can't comment on them because the thread is locked and can not be replied at. For this reason the same question is asked by someone else again and again etc. Policy's..... This has a negative effect. I would rather see this in 1 thread with 100 pages than this......

This issue has been asked a lot; Why? The reason for it; people look at the value and it seems to be stuck at 62,3% for quite some time. (Many minutes. Hour or hours even.) The question is understandable because everyone is asking; What is my system doing?

I self ran against this problem for the first time after an 24H2 26100.3037 update to 24H2 26100.3194. I had never ever had this problem and after cleaning the Component Store a /CheckHealth DISM command; It found problems. So I started to fix it with the DISM /RestoreHealth command and till my amazement it got stuck at 62,3% !!

(I found: there was an issue build in the update 26100.3194. (Could be repeated at a separate VM) After an /AnalyzeComponentStore it found a number of reclaimable packages, so I ran the /StartComponentCleanup command. Check it's health again and suddenly it found problems. In my case a "photon" package (some internal Windows stuff) inside the C:\Windows\WinSxS directory that got damaged and needed repair.... It's called:

amd64_userexperience-photon_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.26100.1591_none_faf85d9f2170dfcf )

"What is my system doing??...." Hanging? In the contrary; Your system is quite busy with checking, downloading (Only with the /Online switch), applying. checking etc. How can you see that? There is one useful command that tails the log file of the DISM command. Start PowerShell as an admin and enter the following command.

Get-Content C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log -tail 10 -wait

Watch your Powershell screen; It's adding lines at the bottom each time the CBS.log got updated by the DISM command. You can see it's progress here. It should add new lines on a regular basis. The DISM command is really finished when you see: "Ending TrustedInstaller finalization." Terminating the proces premature won't help. At the next /RestoreHealth command it will start the whole proces again, checking, checking, downloading, applying, checking.

You have to let it run as long as it takes it to finish. I my case I have a fast system, disks & internet and for me this Restoring fase took me 20 minutes to complete. (for me? Strangely very slow.) On slower machines it can take hours of even longer. Be patient!! It speed is depending upon how fast your system is. If you see NO lines added to your Powershell window; then there is something else wrong! You should see progress!!

When DISM is finished you can see that the service; Windows Modules Installer (aka TrustedInstaller) will shut itself down after a while. Reason? Nothing to do..

For people that have 24H2: I must conclude that 2 reclaimable packages will be there to stay forever. (until 25H2) They belong to the base version 26100.1742 and are extremely superseded. Can't be fixed or removed. Did it once (together with other 1742 packages) inside my VM and it messed up Windows 24H2 really good!! Only a new reinstall of putting a backup back will fix the damaged Windows 11 24H2.

The 2 unreclaimable packages are;

  • [Microsoft-Windows-FodMetadataServicing-Desktop-Metadata-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.26100.1742]
  • [Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~26100.1742.1.10]

Both packages has the status; "is a top-level package and is deeply superseded"

They are only visible inside the C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log file!! Proof? Rename the CBS.log file. Start a DISM /AnalyzeComponentStore command and after completing search the file for that status. Only those 2 will have that status. Those are the 2 unreclaimable packages.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-04-08T18:33:17+00:00

    RE: Stuck at 62.3%

    Get-Content C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log -tail 10 -wait

    I agree, nice post. Time saving. Takes the guess work out of the equation.

    Thank You!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-04-13T13:20:23+00:00

    I'm showing the last few entries in the Powershell log as as:

    2025-04-13 20:13:13, Info CBS Operations recap:

    2025-04-13 20:13:13, Info CBS =================

    2025-04-13 20:13:13, Info CBS Session: 31173746_3653816863

    2025-04-13 20:13:13, Info CBS Correlation Vector: SNuViNd5wE+6l+uY.2

    2025-04-13 20:13:13, Info CBS =================

    2025-04-13 20:13:13, Info CBS =================

    2025-04-13 20:13:13, Info CBS Total time: 0ms

    2025-04-13 20:13:13, Info CBS =================

    2025-04-13 20:13:13, Info CBS Session: 31173746_3653816863 finalized. Reboot required: no [HRESULT = 0x00000000 - S_OK]

    2025-04-13 20:13:13, Info CSI 00000891 Direct SIL provider: Number of files opened: 4.

    Is this normal?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-04-13T20:10:21+00:00

    Assuming that you are using Windows 11 24H2 build 3775 (The latest. Released last Tuesday. (Patchday Tuesday....))

    I don't see any errors here. " Session: 31173746_3653816863 finalized." The session was completed with no errors and there was no reboot required. HRESULT gave a S_OK status. Those messages may be cryptic (the innerworkings of the CBS engine) but it says nowhere that the action was faulty.

    You have to keep in mind that all what you see are informational (Info) messages. As long as this shows everything is still OK.

    If you look at the end of the CBS.log again you should see that 2 CBS processes are finalizing and then the loggings stops. In my case Windows initiated a checkup automatically today. I didn't start any DISM command today. I think it checks the status on certain conditions. I would call this automatic maintenance not initiated by the user. If you use a program like Notepad++ (a free program) or UltraEdit you can scroll through the whole CBS.log file with ease. Notepad is not suited for this task because the CBS.log can be quite large. (In my case 14Mb) If the status is all "Info" then there are no errors to be found. Your system is OK. You can run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth to be sure. If it finds nothing wrong then a /RestoreHealth is not necessary. Also you can use sfc /scannow and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore to see if only 2 packages are reclaimable (they are not!!!) there. I have a fix to get rid of those 2 reclaimable packages but only if you find this an issue. (Solution is to remove 1 package. It will not interfere with any future updates. I advice to make a backup just in case. In the time that my system has updated itself there are no issues with it so far. It is not recommended by Microsoft! I understand their position but they have left us with 2 unreclaimable packages for many and many months now. They are not trying to resolve it themselves. So against all advise of them; I solve it myself.... )

    At the end of CBS.log you should see these 2 processes to come to an end. Until a DISM command is issued or an auto-maintenance job has been started.

    2025-04-13 14:37:51, Info CBS Ending TiWorker finalization. and

    .....

    2025-04-13 14:37:51, Info CBS Ending TrustedInstaller finalization.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-04-13T22:54:08+00:00

    after DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore this is what I got is there a problem?

    Component Store (WinSxS) information:

    Windows Explorer Reported Size of Component Store : 15.29 GB

    Actual Size of Component Store : 14.52 GB

    Shared with Windows : 7.37 GB 
    
    Backups and Disabled Features : 6.74 GB 
    
    Cache and Temporary Data : 394.96 MB 
    

    Date of Last Cleanup : 2025-04-12 08:26:57

    Number of Reclaimable Packages : 8

    Component Store Cleanup Recommended : Yes

    The operation completed successfully.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-04-14T19:13:30+00:00

    Yes. So far, so good! (The operation completed successfully) 8 reclaimable packages. That is possible and can be normal after an update. In the line underneath it it also states: Cleanup recommended: Yes. That will be the next step.

    The next thing you should do is to issue (as admin again) DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

    This will cleanup your SxS store. Can take some time so be patient. It will go though more than 200 packages and tries to give them a good status. 95% will be a check and they are already good. Except for 6 packages..... (because I already know that 2 packages will remain reclaimable... They are not!!)

    If you didn't applied the "Fix": after a  second DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore

    You should see that the number is reduced from 8 to 2. (As I said earlier; That's normal behavior for Win11 24H2 if you didn't applied the fix.)

    You can run /StartCompnentCleanup and /AnalyzeComponentStore as much as you want; There will aways be 2 packages unreclaimable.

    Windows will be good despite the fact 2 are not reclaimable. The majority of Windows users will have those 2 also. It's not a problem. Ignore it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments