Thank you for the reply. So, DISM is still running 3 days later, and occasionally adding new lines to the log. I'm still able to use my system while it's running, so not "hung," by any means. I'm running a Surface Pro 9, if that makes any difference.
DISM RestoreHealth stuck at 62.3% [Info / Resolved]
This is not a question. I would give some information about the above message, I found some stuff arround this subject and I want to share it with you all. My question; Did you also see the problems and it's progress as I did? I'll explain. Read on.... ๐ค
(Applies manly for those who are using Windows 11 (Pro) 24H2 Build 26100.3194 and below. Maybe the problem also occurs with 21, 22, 23H2? Reason may differ but the problem maybe the same. Can't check that anymore. I am already sitting at the latest Build of 24H2 itself. I want to be up to date and not left behind with MS versions.)
I see a lot of entry's about the above issue. Unfortunately I can't comment on them because the thread is locked and can not be replied at. For this reason the same question is asked by someone else again and again etc. Policy's..... This has a negative effect. I would rather see this in 1 thread with 100 pages than this......
This issue has been asked a lot; Why? The reason for it; people look at the value and it seems to be stuck at 62,3% for quite some time. (Many minutes. Hour or hours even.) The question is understandable because everyone is asking; What is my system doing?
I self ran against this problem for the first time after an 24H2 26100.3037 update to 24H2 26100.3194. I had never ever had this problem and after cleaning the Component Store a /CheckHealth DISM command; It found problems. So I started to fix it with the DISM /RestoreHealth command and till my amazement it got stuck at 62,3% !!
(I found: there was an issue build in the update 26100.3194. (Could be repeated at a separate VM) After an /AnalyzeComponentStore it found a number of reclaimable packages, so I ran the /StartComponentCleanup command. Check it's health again and suddenly it found problems. In my case a "photon" package (some internal Windows stuff) inside the C:\Windows\WinSxS directory that got damaged and needed repair.... It's called:
amd64_userexperience-photon_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.26100.1591_none_faf85d9f2170dfcf )
"What is my system doing??...." Hanging? In the contrary; Your system is quite busy with checking, downloading (Only with the /Online switch), applying. checking etc. How can you see that? There is one useful command that tails the log file of the DISM command. Start PowerShell as an admin and enter the following command.
Get-Content C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log -tail 10 -wait
Watch your Powershell screen; It's adding lines at the bottom each time the CBS.log got updated by the DISM command. You can see it's progress here. It should add new lines on a regular basis. The DISM command is really finished when you see: "Ending TrustedInstaller finalization." Terminating the proces premature won't help. At the next /RestoreHealth command it will start the whole proces again, checking, checking, downloading, applying, checking.
You have to let it run as long as it takes it to finish. I my case I have a fast system, disks & internet and for me this Restoring fase took me 20 minutes to complete. (for me? Strangely very slow.) On slower machines it can take hours of even longer. Be patient!! It speed is depending upon how fast your system is. If you see NO lines added to your Powershell window; then there is something else wrong! You should see progress!!
When DISM is finished you can see that the service; Windows Modules Installer (aka TrustedInstaller) will shut itself down after a while. Reason? Nothing to do..
For people that have 24H2: I must conclude that 2 reclaimable packages will be there to stay forever. (until 25H2) They belong to the base version 26100.1742 and are extremely superseded. Can't be fixed or removed. Did it once (together with other 1742 packages) inside my VM and it messed up Windows 24H2 really good!! Only a new reinstall of putting a backup back will fix the damaged Windows 11 24H2.
The 2 unreclaimable packages are;
- [Microsoft-Windows-FodMetadataServicing-Desktop-Metadata-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.26100.1742]
- [Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~26100.1742.1.10]
Both packages has the status; "is a top-level package and is deeply superseded"
They are only visible inside the C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log file!! Proof? Rename the CBS.log file. Start a DISM /AnalyzeComponentStore command and after completing search the file for that status. Only those 2 will have that status. Those are the 2 unreclaimable packages.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
41 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2025-03-27T16:37:13+00:00 -
Anonymous
2025-03-28T09:01:12+00:00 Thanks for the update. 3 days??? ๐ฎ๐ฎ I think you are setting a sad record here. It can be a slow process; people complain about 12-24 hours. But 3 days? Wow... Did you take a look what is running on the background that's taking up resources? (any process what has nothing to do with Windows itself; programs can be killed) Is there what substantial memory free? It's possible that it's using the swapfile during this process and so slowing things down. If you are using WiFi as connection is it possible to switch over (with an adapter) to a cable connection? It's downloading software in the background. (a fast connection helps) I found out that the time of day makes also a difference. MS download farms can be quite busy with other people downloads and you are just one of them. There is a difference when America is awake or asleep. If I knew this in advance then I would save all my personal data, Install windows fresh and place backup all my personal data back again. Would take me a quarter of a day. But I have a PC, not a tablet. It is still possible to break everything off and boot into safe mode and run with the bare minimum. Cable internet, no unneeded programs running in the background and start the process again. It will check what's already done and continue where it left off.
You have a Surface Pro 9; a MS tablet. They come into 2 versions; an Intel i5-1235U CPU (10-core. 2 fast, 8 slow. x86 architecture) and a MS SQ3 CPU (8-core. 4 fast, 4 slow. SQ3 is a Qualcomm Snapdragon 8cx Gen3 with ARM architecture). The SQ3 version is a slow version because of the ARM processor. Anything written for x86 it has to emulate. That slows the CPU down with 30-40%. In reviews they are unanimous; Don't buy the SQ3 version. It's somewhat cheaper than the i5 or even the i7 but it's not recommended. The SQ3 is a nice thing if you are a developer of ARM software but not for the normal end users.
-
Anonymous
2025-03-29T16:39:47+00:00 It's still running today, even (3/29/25). New lines are still being added to the log file every day. My system specs are MS Pro 9, Intel core i7, 2.60GHz, 16.0 GB RAM (15.8 GB usable). 64-bit OS and x64-based processor. Using a really fast Wifi connection (Wifi 6) that gets about the same Speedtest results as my other Surface which is wired (Cat 5e).
I saw that there's a way to download an image for DISM to use instead of the /online switch. I'm wondering if I should try that?
-
Anonymous
2025-03-30T15:08:25+00:00 Ah. So Performance and speed is not an issue here. You have a beast of a MS Surface Pro 9. ๐๐๐
But what then? I really don't have a clue at this moment!
Yes. You are pointing to the right direction. It is (theoretically) possible to use a .WIM or .ESD file located in the Sources directory of a installation disk.
At this moment the attempt would be fubar because all downloadable versions are restricted to 26100.1742 and (I downloaded a later one using https://www.microsoft.com/nl-nl/software-download/windows11ย using the "mediacreationtool.exe" (outputs a .iso file) tool found under the option; Making an Installationmedia for Windows 11. It will download the latest version.)
But.... (Just downloaded one to check it's version) When I open this .iso and find the files (There are 2 files there; boot.wim (503 Mb) and install.esd (3,9 Gb) ) they are from build 26100.2033.... You can check this for yourself by starting a CMD box as admin and give the following command: dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:X:\sources\boot.wim /index:1 or dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:X:\sources\install.esd /index:1 (X = The drive where the .iso is mounted on.) They both report the same Build: 2033. The object file is I think the install.esd file because that's 3,9 Gb. The other one is just 503 Mb.
We can't use this file because if you are repairing a 26100.3194 Build and not a 26100.2033 Build. Check your version with Winver. If they don't match? This will be a dead end......
However..... I don't know; are you familiar with Usenet and .nzb's?? If so; There are MS certified people that releases MVP Windows builds upto the latest build version. I am sitting now on 26100.3624 and I saw yesterday a MVP release of 24H2 Win 11 26100.3624. I can download that one and use it inside this repair command. No need to download things; they are already there on a mounted .iso drive. All you have to do is pointing to it.
I talked in the beginning about 26100.3194 but since then my system updated itself to 26100.3476 and now to 26100.3624 (recently)
All you have to find is a distribution for your Build version that's needs repairing like 26100.3194, mount it and issue the following command; Dism /Image:C:\offline /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\test\mount\windows You need to adjust the path of the /Source because I got this command from Microsoft. I suspect the the content of the source is located after the mounted windows directory. So not C:\test\mount\windows but the mounted .iso drive like /Source:X or /Source:X:\sources (Where X is the driveletter of the mounted .iso. I use Deamon Tools Ultra for the ease.)
Disclaimer: I didn't use this latest command for myself. My system is fine. Got even rid of those 2 unreclaimable packages that belongs to 1742. That's an other story.
-
Anonymous
2025-03-30T17:24:00+00:00 Wow, that's a LOT. I'm wondering if at this point it might just be better to re-install Windows from bootable media? It would definitely be faster than waiting for my current DISM iteration to complete (which it still hasn't), btw.