DISM RestoreHealth stuck at 62.3% [Info / Resolved]

Anonymous
2025-02-24T16:34:33+00:00

This is not a question. I would give some information about the above message, I found some stuff arround this subject and I want to share it with you all. My question; Did you also see the problems and it's progress as I did? I'll explain. Read on.... 🤔

(Applies manly for those who are using Windows 11 (Pro) 24H2 Build 26100.3194 and below. Maybe the problem also occurs with 21, 22, 23H2? Reason may differ but the problem maybe the same. Can't check that anymore. I am already sitting at the latest Build of 24H2 itself. I want to be up to date and not left behind with MS versions.)

I see a lot of entry's about the above issue. Unfortunately I can't comment on them because the thread is locked and can not be replied at. For this reason the same question is asked by someone else again and again etc. Policy's..... This has a negative effect. I would rather see this in 1 thread with 100 pages than this......

This issue has been asked a lot; Why? The reason for it; people look at the value and it seems to be stuck at 62,3% for quite some time. (Many minutes. Hour or hours even.) The question is understandable because everyone is asking; What is my system doing?

I self ran against this problem for the first time after an 24H2 26100.3037 update to 24H2 26100.3194. I had never ever had this problem and after cleaning the Component Store a /CheckHealth DISM command; It found problems. So I started to fix it with the DISM /RestoreHealth command and till my amazement it got stuck at 62,3% !!

(I found: there was an issue build in the update 26100.3194. (Could be repeated at a separate VM) After an /AnalyzeComponentStore it found a number of reclaimable packages, so I ran the /StartComponentCleanup command. Check it's health again and suddenly it found problems. In my case a "photon" package (some internal Windows stuff) inside the C:\Windows\WinSxS directory that got damaged and needed repair.... It's called:

amd64_userexperience-photon_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.26100.1591_none_faf85d9f2170dfcf )

"What is my system doing??...." Hanging? In the contrary; Your system is quite busy with checking, downloading (Only with the /Online switch), applying. checking etc. How can you see that? There is one useful command that tails the log file of the DISM command. Start PowerShell as an admin and enter the following command.

Get-Content C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log -tail 10 -wait

Watch your Powershell screen; It's adding lines at the bottom each time the CBS.log got updated by the DISM command. You can see it's progress here. It should add new lines on a regular basis. The DISM command is really finished when you see: "Ending TrustedInstaller finalization." Terminating the proces premature won't help. At the next /RestoreHealth command it will start the whole proces again, checking, checking, downloading, applying, checking.

You have to let it run as long as it takes it to finish. I my case I have a fast system, disks & internet and for me this Restoring fase took me 20 minutes to complete. (for me? Strangely very slow.) On slower machines it can take hours of even longer. Be patient!! It speed is depending upon how fast your system is. If you see NO lines added to your Powershell window; then there is something else wrong! You should see progress!!

When DISM is finished you can see that the service; Windows Modules Installer (aka TrustedInstaller) will shut itself down after a while. Reason? Nothing to do..

For people that have 24H2: I must conclude that 2 reclaimable packages will be there to stay forever. (until 25H2) They belong to the base version 26100.1742 and are extremely superseded. Can't be fixed or removed. Did it once (together with other 1742 packages) inside my VM and it messed up Windows 24H2 really good!! Only a new reinstall of putting a backup back will fix the damaged Windows 11 24H2.

The 2 unreclaimable packages are;

  • [Microsoft-Windows-FodMetadataServicing-Desktop-Metadata-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.26100.1742]
  • [Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~26100.1742.1.10]

Both packages has the status; "is a top-level package and is deeply superseded"

They are only visible inside the C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log file!! Proof? Rename the CBS.log file. Start a DISM /AnalyzeComponentStore command and after completing search the file for that status. Only those 2 will have that status. Those are the 2 unreclaimable packages.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-04-08T18:33:17+00:00

    RE: Stuck at 62.3%

    Get-Content C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log -tail 10 -wait

    I agree, nice post. Time saving. Takes the guess work out of the equation.

    Thank You!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-04-08T08:17:36+00:00

    "Seemed" is the right phrase. But it isn't stuck. Did you take a look at the CBS.log as I explained earlier?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-04-07T16:24:03+00:00

    For me:

    After sfc /scannow ran, I found DISM stuck at the 62.3%. After trying to cancel (Control-C) - and that not working, I killed the cmd.exe (as Administrator) command,I found a lot of other examples running CheckHealth, then ScanHealth then RestoreHealth options.

    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

    (says component store is repairable after reboot and that it completed successfully).

    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

    When I relaunched cmd.exe - the percent complete would not appear.

    I found I had to reboot and let Windows Updates occur during login.

    (Doing Windows Update in the OS via Check For Updates showed nothing new)

    Then DISM worked again...

    But alas the RestoreHealth option again seemed to stick at 62.3%

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-04-01T17:56:48+00:00

    This is the result after 8 days? Did you used /source in the beginning?

    What was the original command you used to repair your store which produces (after 8 days) this error?

    This error tells me you are trying to repair a windows system with build 26100.3194 using a source with build 26100.3676 (version numbers are fictive)

    With other words; the build versions are not the same. Yes it will throw this error. If you are repairing a 26100.3194 build the source must be also a 26100.3194 build. That could explain the abnormal duration of the repair. It can't fix things if the build version are different. Find it strange that it tells you this after 8 days while you should see this error directly after the command was given. It sees your current build and it could get info about the source. As they don't match it could throw an error immediately. Apparently MS doesn't warn you and just like a blind bat goes ahead and tries....

    Use winver to get your current build you are sitting on.

    Use the Get-WimInfo command to check the source build. dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:X:\sources\boot.wim /index:1 (adjust if necessary)

    If the builds doesn't match then that is not correct. You should had used the online method instead; Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

    /Online doesn't mean using the internet. It just means that your current build must be mounted and "Online" if the repair starts. In normal cases Windows is always mounted and online. It is possible to do this offline but that means you have to boot from an USB stick and give the proper commands. It must see the source onto a USB drive or disk and also see the C-drive in able to function. In this case Windows on the USB stick is Online and the one on the C-drive is Offline. In any case; If DISM sees something corrupted it wil go onto the internet and download that broken part and replaces the package and checks it again if the error is gone. Doing a repair without the intrenet is not possible. It must than use a local source in order to repair stuff. (that sources command)

    With hindsight it would be beter if you gave me that starting command from the start. I didn't know you are using a source command. I would given you the advice to break off and to check both versions first. As for now? I advice you to install Windows with a fresh start, Let the update proces proceed and bring you up to the current level; 26100.3624. Enough time wasted.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-04-01T14:34:29+00:00

    So finally completed today (8 days since starting) with the following message:

    [==========================100.0%==========================] Error: 0x800f081f The source files could not be found. Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077. The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log C:\Windows\System32>

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments