0xc1900101-0x30017 error when upgrading Windows 10 to 11 - ASUS Zenbook Flip S

Anonymous
2025-02-09T17:33:00+00:00

Been trying to upgrade my laptop to Windows 11 for the past few days now with very little success. Whether I use the install assistant or a USB formatted by the Media Creation Tool, the installation process keeps throwing up the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error and reverting back again. I've tried various solutions to fix this problem, from updating or installing whatever programs I felt might impact the installation to resetting the settings on my BIOS. I want to avoid having to do a clean install and wiping my laptop if possible.

I've also been running SetupDiag and seeing if I can make sense of the logs, but I'm unfortunately not at all knowledgeable in this field. I'll put a link to the log.zip file from my latest install attempt here:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjBTgjb2fAligsFHjywzNkjLYbALWg?e=Djyxoc 

If there is any more information you need, please let me know.https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjBTgjb2fAligsFHjywzNkjLYbALWg?e=DjyxocIf

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T22:43:59+00:00

The computer should boot to the desktop when performing an in place upgrade repair.

There is no boot to a flash drive for an in place upgrade repair.

Please see the tutorial links for mounting the iso.

See if there is something useful in this Asus video on IRST and VMD:

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1044458/

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-14T13:52:17+00:00

I have some great news; after some searching, I found out how to disable VMD on my computer and switch it from RAID to AHCI. I had to set the computer to Safe Boot before going into the BIOS to disable the VMD controller mode. When it booted up, it automatically installed a AHCI driver in place of the VMD-based driver that was controlling the storage drive, after which I disabled safe boot and it booted up normally. This was the guide I ended up following: https://superuser.com/a/1359471

The Windows 10 in-place upgrade went without a hitch, and so did the Windows 11 upgrade! The VMD controller turned out to be the culprit behind the boot drive not being detected during installation. Thanks so much for helping me out!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-08T00:38:43+00:00

    0xC1900101, 0x30017

    Bugcheck 7B

    INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

    Find a flash drive that you can format (> or = 8 GB).

    Create a bootable Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (MCT) (Windows 10 iso)

    Download Windows 10 ISO File | Tutorials

    Download Windows 10

    Boot normally > open administrative command prompt > type:

    diskpart

    sel dis 0

    sel par 1

    assign letter=W:

    lis vol

    exit

    format W: /fs:fat32 /q

    bcdboot C:\Windows /s W: /f UEFI

    Reboot

    Upgrade from 10 > 11 while in clean boot

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-07T23:23:54+00:00

    Gave the installation another go with no luck. I've been doing it using a formatted USB, but whichever way I do it, I get the same INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error. I downloaded and ran the upgrade_failure_info bat, which gave me this zip:

    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/9q0nptuxvy8bmtoctnx5m/Upgrade_failure_logs_2025-03-07_23-17-25.zip?rlkey=p51b8s8u246vn343um2qyqher&st=geld7uqh&dl=0

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-07T22:12:17+00:00

    Looks good.

    The extra recovery partition can be:

    a) left as is

    b) deleted creating 200 MB unallocated space

    c) deleted with the 1.03 GB partition and a new recovery partition created

    Please upgrade to Windows 11 while in clean boot.

    https://www.elevenforum.com/t/upgrade-to-windows-11.152/

    Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts | Tutorials

    In case there are any upgrade rollbacks then

    Run: upgrade_failure_info > post a share link

    https://www.tenforums.com/attachments/bsod-crashes-debugging/353454d1638278360-batch-files-use-bsod-debugging-upgrade_failure_info.bat

    Batch files for use in BSOD debugging - Windows 10 Help Forums

    Batch files for use in BSOD debugging - Windows 10 Help Forums

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments