Windows 11 version 24H2 update fails with error code 0x80070002

Anonymous
2025-03-13T21:57:50+00:00

My Acer Predator PHN18-71 (Windows 11 version 23H2, Intel Core i7-14700HX, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070) has been trying to install the Windows 11 version 24H2 update since it first appeared in my Check for Updates window a few months ago. The update always fails, listing error code 0x80070002 as the broad issue. I have, to the best of my ability, researched all the recommended things to try to make this update succeed:

Check Time Settings

Update drivers

Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter

Rename the Software Distribution and catroot2 Folders

Restart Windows Update Service

Check System Files with DISM for inconsistencies

I'm sure that I'm missing a few - I'll try to flesh out my list.

Yesterday I made a fresh backup image of my C: drive and performed an iso file 24H2 installation. It failed, so I ran SetupDiag. It responded with only one issue:

"Error: SetupDiag reports a fatal error on driver migrations. ErrorCode: 0x80070002"

I have the zip folder of files produced by SetupDiag.

The only clue I have to a possible source of this problem is that my computer's audio system is malfunctioning. These issues began after my machine started failing system updates. I can't get any sound out of my laptop's speakers or my headphone jack. I have to use USB speakers or a USB external sound card to get any audio output, which apparently also requires disabling the Microsoft High Definition Audio Device (otherwise I get no audio from any source). The Realtek Audio Driver has stopped appearing in my Device Manager even though it says it is installed after I reinstall it from the Acer website. The Realtek Audio Console window is now empty except for this:

"Realtek Audio Console doesn't support for this machine."

It used to be full of controls that functioned.

The Intel Smart Sound Technology BUS in Device Manager shows error code 39:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing."

No other drivers show any errors in Device Manager.

I've seen multiple people post online about this apparent audio driver / failed update issue with very similar symptoms. But I haven't seen how or if they resolved them.

I'm admittedly not a very capable or experienced system administrator. I'd appreciate any help I can get to resolve these issues.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-20T14:39:25+00:00

    Sumit,

    Ramesh's latest requested changes have yielded a new result. Let's see if he agrees about opening a Microsoft Support case?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-03-20T14:49:09+00:00

    Hi Roy,

    Please download Driver Store Explorer.

    https://github.com/lostindark/DriverStoreExplorer

    It lists all the 3rd party driver packages.

    Uninstall all Realtek driver packages. If necessary enable the "Force uninstall" option.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-20T15:24:52+00:00

    Ramesh,

    Just to be certain:

    Should I delete both "Realtek" AND "Realtek Semiconductor Corp." drivers?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-03-20T15:31:03+00:00

    Hi,

    Yes, Please uninstall all "Reaktek" and "Realtek Semiconductor Corp." drivers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-03-20T17:06:49+00:00

    Ramesh,

    Logs8.zip

    SetupDiag: processing rule: DriverPackageMissingFileFailure.

    ....

    Error: Found a missing file in driver package during device install.

    Failed to install driver package: intelmvaextension.inf, due to missing file: IntelMva.dll.

    Provider: Intel(R) Corporation

    Class Guid: {e2f84ce7-8efa-411c-aa69-97454ca4cb57}

    Driver Version: 06/16/2023,1.0.3045.0

    Driver Package Id: intelmvaextension.inf_amd64_0b073b4464953427

    Submission Id: 29989500_14509402674766426_1152921505696721130

    Recommend you update the driver package or remove the driver package, reboot and try the update again.

    This is a new one, but apparently still audio-related. My headphone jack and internal speakers have stopped functioning again, to be expected. My USB audio still works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments