Windows 11 version 24H2 update fails with error code 0x80070002

Anonymous
2025-03-13T21:57:50+00:00

My Acer Predator PHN18-71 (Windows 11 version 23H2, Intel Core i7-14700HX, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070) has been trying to install the Windows 11 version 24H2 update since it first appeared in my Check for Updates window a few months ago. The update always fails, listing error code 0x80070002 as the broad issue. I have, to the best of my ability, researched all the recommended things to try to make this update succeed:

Check Time Settings

Update drivers

Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter

Rename the Software Distribution and catroot2 Folders

Restart Windows Update Service

Check System Files with DISM for inconsistencies

I'm sure that I'm missing a few - I'll try to flesh out my list.

Yesterday I made a fresh backup image of my C: drive and performed an iso file 24H2 installation. It failed, so I ran SetupDiag. It responded with only one issue:

"Error: SetupDiag reports a fatal error on driver migrations. ErrorCode: 0x80070002"

I have the zip folder of files produced by SetupDiag.

The only clue I have to a possible source of this problem is that my computer's audio system is malfunctioning. These issues began after my machine started failing system updates. I can't get any sound out of my laptop's speakers or my headphone jack. I have to use USB speakers or a USB external sound card to get any audio output, which apparently also requires disabling the Microsoft High Definition Audio Device (otherwise I get no audio from any source). The Realtek Audio Driver has stopped appearing in my Device Manager even though it says it is installed after I reinstall it from the Acer website. The Realtek Audio Console window is now empty except for this:

"Realtek Audio Console doesn't support for this machine."

It used to be full of controls that functioned.

The Intel Smart Sound Technology BUS in Device Manager shows error code 39:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing."

No other drivers show any errors in Device Manager.

I've seen multiple people post online about this apparent audio driver / failed update issue with very similar symptoms. But I haven't seen how or if they resolved them.

I'm admittedly not a very capable or experienced system administrator. I'd appreciate any help I can get to resolve these issues.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. SD - IA 179.8K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-03-19T08:33:32+00:00

    So the Intel SST driver was removed and now the next one probably related to sound has appeared.

    First thing, the BIOS is one version outdated of the machine. Update it please:

    https://www.acer.com/in-en/support/product-supp...

    Second, please proceed with the Ramesh's command and let me know if it is of any help.

    Standard 3rd party link disclaimer:

    There may be links to non-Microsoft websites that provide accurate and safe information. Watch out for ads on websites frequently classified as PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). There is no need to buy paid products to fix your computers, as they sometimes do more harm than good.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-19T19:25:30+00:00

    Sumit,

    BIOS has been updated:

    UpdatedBIOS.jpg

    Ramesh's inputs have been executed (except Windows ADK - I have no idea how to even install it properly):

    DriversExported.jpg

    oem64.jpg

    DiskCleanup.jpg

    I've uninstalled all the driver packages identified by you and Tekkie. And I previously removed and installed the display drivers using the instructions you sent me.

    Rebooted and ran 24H2 iso install, failed with:

    "Error: 0x80070002-0x20007 Found a missing file in driver package during device install.

    Failed to install driver package: hdx_acerext_apot_g5_af58_aa50_ae58_af68_ab47_down0_c.inf, due to missing file: netstate2_a_AE58_g.dat.

    Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

    Class Guid: {e2f84ce7-8efa-411c-aa69-97454ca4cb57}

    Driver Version: 01/16/2024,6.0.9632.1

    Driver Package Id: hdx_acerext_apot_g5_af58_aa50_ae58_af68_ab47_down0_c.inf_amd64_87b3e825a45d06e4

    Submission Id: 29989850_14434318362242924_1152921505697273642

    Recommend you update the driver package or remove the driver package, reboot and try the update again."

    Logs6.zip

    Same error as the previous run.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-03-20T02:47:00+00:00

    Please uninstall all these:

    oem53.inf      | hdx_acerext_xperi4_rtk_gen4.inf                          | Extension  | Realtek Semiconductor Corp.   | 1/16/2024  | 6.0.9632.1       
    
    oem81.inf      | hdx_acerext_apot_g5_af58_aa50_ae58_af68_ab47_down0_c.inf | Extension  | Realtek Semiconductor Corp.   | 1/16/2024  | 6.0.9632.1       
    
    oem91.inf      | hdx_acerext_apot_g5_af58_aa50_ae58_af68_ab47_down0_g.inf | Extension  | Realtek Semiconductor Corp.   | 1/16/2024  | 6.0.9632.1       
    
    oem93.inf      | hdx_acerext_apot_gen5_general.inf                        | Extension  | Realtek Semiconductor Corp.   | 1/16/2024  | 6.0.9632.1
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. SD - IA 179.8K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-03-20T13:13:06+00:00

    It is the same error again :(

    2025-03-19 14:39:40, Error DISM API: PID=1808 TID=2088 Driver package C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\hdx_acerext_apot_g5_af58_aa50_ae58_af68_ab47_down0_c.inf_amd64_87b3e825a45d06e4\hdx_acerext_apot_g5_af58_aa50_ae58_af68_ab47_down0_c.inf failed to install. (hr:0x80070002) - CAddDriverCommandObject::AddDriverPackage(hr:0x80070002)

    Maybe you should open a case with Microsoft support as well who can take the PC remotely to check.

    Please type the "Get Help" app in Windows Search and open it.

    Type the "Chat with an agent" option and press Enter.

    Please click on the "Contact support" button at the bottom.

    Select the Product and Category for support according to your requirement.

    The available support methods will be shown to you.

    Please ensure to contact using business hours(Monday to Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM Local time) for maximum available support options, including Chat support. You can also select Call Me back option and input your Phone number.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-03-20T14:34:53+00:00

    Ramesh,

    Ramesh.jpg

    Logs7.zip

    SetupDiag: processing rule: DriverPackageMissingFileFailure.

    ....

    Error: Found a missing file in driver package during device install.

    Failed to install driver package: intcoed_oemlibpath.inf, due to missing file: adl_rtksep96_lib.bin.

    Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

    Class Guid: {e2f84ce7-8efa-411c-aa69-97454ca4cb57}

    Driver Version: 07/04/2023,10.35.240.13

    Driver Package Id: intcoed_oemlibpath.inf_amd64_971429311066e19f

    Submission Id: 29989850_14249398252156496_1152921505696519648

    Recommend you update the driver package or remove the driver package, reboot and try the update again.

    It's a new driver package issue. Still Realtek.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments