Windows 11 version 24H2 update fails with error code 0x80070002

Anonymous
2025-03-13T21:57:50+00:00

My Acer Predator PHN18-71 (Windows 11 version 23H2, Intel Core i7-14700HX, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070) has been trying to install the Windows 11 version 24H2 update since it first appeared in my Check for Updates window a few months ago. The update always fails, listing error code 0x80070002 as the broad issue. I have, to the best of my ability, researched all the recommended things to try to make this update succeed:

Check Time Settings

Update drivers

Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter

Rename the Software Distribution and catroot2 Folders

Restart Windows Update Service

Check System Files with DISM for inconsistencies

I'm sure that I'm missing a few - I'll try to flesh out my list.

Yesterday I made a fresh backup image of my C: drive and performed an iso file 24H2 installation. It failed, so I ran SetupDiag. It responded with only one issue:

"Error: SetupDiag reports a fatal error on driver migrations. ErrorCode: 0x80070002"

I have the zip folder of files produced by SetupDiag.

The only clue I have to a possible source of this problem is that my computer's audio system is malfunctioning. These issues began after my machine started failing system updates. I can't get any sound out of my laptop's speakers or my headphone jack. I have to use USB speakers or a USB external sound card to get any audio output, which apparently also requires disabling the Microsoft High Definition Audio Device (otherwise I get no audio from any source). The Realtek Audio Driver has stopped appearing in my Device Manager even though it says it is installed after I reinstall it from the Acer website. The Realtek Audio Console window is now empty except for this:

"Realtek Audio Console doesn't support for this machine."

It used to be full of controls that functioned.

The Intel Smart Sound Technology BUS in Device Manager shows error code 39:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing."

No other drivers show any errors in Device Manager.

I've seen multiple people post online about this apparent audio driver / failed update issue with very similar symptoms. But I haven't seen how or if they resolved them.

I'm admittedly not a very capable or experienced system administrator. I'd appreciate any help I can get to resolve these issues.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. SD - IA 179.8K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-03-19T02:21:15+00:00

    Yes, it is the same error.

    Did you run the pnputil commands as Tekkie boy posted previously? Also,

    Please supply the following Information.

    Right-click the Start button and Choose the Run option

    Type in msinfo32

    Press enter.

    Take a screenshot of the System Summary window and post it in the next reply.

    I look forward to your response and am eager to collaborate until we find a solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-19T04:22:36+00:00

    Sumit,

    Here's the System Information image and text export:

    SystemInfo.jpg

    SystemInfo.txt

    Since my post from this morning, I did run Tekkie Boy's requested "pnputil" commands. The subsequent 24H2 update again failed with 0x80070002-0x20007, but identified a different missing file:

    "Error: 0x80070002-0x20007 Found a missing file in driver package during device install.

    Failed to install driver package: hdx_acerext_apot_g5_af58_aa50_ae58_af68_ab47_down0_c.inf, due to missing file: netstate2_a_AE58_g.dat.

    Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

    Class Guid: {e2f84ce7-8efa-411c-aa69-97454ca4cb57}

    Driver Version: 01/16/2024,6.0.9632.1

    Driver Package Id: hdx_acerext_apot_g5_af58_aa50_ae58_af68_ab47_down0_c.inf_amd64_87b3e825a45d06e4

    Submission Id: 29989850_14434318362242924_1152921505697273642

    Recommend you update the driver package or remove the driver package, reboot and try the update again."

    Logs4.zip

    Per the recommendation in the SetupDiag log, I reinstalled the Realtek driver. The subsequent 24H2 update failed with the same error as the previous run:

    "Error: 0x80070002-0x20007 Found a missing file in driver package during device install.

    Failed to install driver package: hdx_acerext_apot_g5_af58_aa50_ae58_af68_ab47_down0_c.inf, due to missing file: netstate2_a_AE58_g.dat.

    Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

    Class Guid: {e2f84ce7-8efa-411c-aa69-97454ca4cb57}

    Driver Version: 01/16/2024,6.0.9632.1

    Driver Package Id: hdx_acerext_apot_g5_af58_aa50_ae58_af68_ab47_down0_c.inf_amd64_87b3e825a45d06e4

    Submission Id: 29989850_14434318362242924_1152921505697273642

    Recommend you update the driver package or remove the driver package, reboot and try the update again."

    Logs5.zip

    I probably would have kept screwing around tonight, but I noticed another issue. The "Start" button on my keyboard has stopped working. I've tried a bunch of fixes I found online, but nothing has worked so far.

    I still have no idea where to find the Intel Smart Sound Technology Drivers for my machine/OS.

    Oh, and these failed updates continue to leave corrupted operating systems behind. I've been deleting them using msconfig.

    On the plus side of things, my sound system continues to work fine through all my screwing around. Gotta find a bright spot somewhere, right?

    I think that's everything for now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-03-19T04:50:43+00:00

    Hi there,

    Adding to what others said:

    You can backup the driver packages using these commands from the admin Command Prompt.

    • md C:\Drivers
    • DISM /online /export-driver /destination:C:\Drivers

    Now, uninstall the driver packages mentioned by Tekkie and Sumit.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-19T05:32:30+00:00

    Ramesh,

    Thank you for showing me how to backup driver packages. I'm sure that will prove to be useful. But right now I have one or more drivers which are missing files. I have already deleted everything Tekkie Boy and Sumit have suggested, but so far we haven't been able to recover the missing file(s) so that my 24H2 update can complete successfully. I don't want to back up corrupted packages, but assume I will once we have them repaired.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-03-19T05:49:26+00:00

    Hi Roy,

    Those driver packages may still be functional. Just that setup complains about a missing file in one or more packages. You can back them up anyway; no issues.

    * * *

    oem64.inf | hdx_acerext_apot_g5_2p2s-66-1234_uniprv-on-on.inf | No | Extension | Realtek Semiconductor Corp. | 1/16/2024 | 6.0.9632.1

    * * *

    Please uninstall oem64.inf as well.

    Additionally, the following steps can help.

    1. Delete superseded driver packages
    • Run cleanmgr.exe as administrator.
    • Select the C: drive.
    • Select "Device driver packages".
    • Click OK.
    • Click "Delete  Files" when prompted.
    1. You can run a driver assessment using Windows ADK (after disconnecting all hardware except the keyboard and mouse) to eliminate unneeded drivers before attempting the Windows setup again. In ADK, click “Run Individual Assessments” and select the “Driver verification” checkbox. Note the unwanted drivers. Back them up using DISM and eliminate them using PnpUtil.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments