Perfect, good luck!
Windows 11 version 24H2 update fails with error code 0x80070002
My Acer Predator PHN18-71 (Windows 11 version 23H2, Intel Core i7-14700HX, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070) has been trying to install the Windows 11 version 24H2 update since it first appeared in my Check for Updates window a few months ago. The update always fails, listing error code 0x80070002 as the broad issue. I have, to the best of my ability, researched all the recommended things to try to make this update succeed:
Check Time Settings
Update drivers
Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Rename the Software Distribution and catroot2 Folders
Restart Windows Update Service
Check System Files with DISM for inconsistencies
I'm sure that I'm missing a few - I'll try to flesh out my list.
Yesterday I made a fresh backup image of my C: drive and performed an iso file 24H2 installation. It failed, so I ran SetupDiag. It responded with only one issue:
"Error: SetupDiag reports a fatal error on driver migrations. ErrorCode: 0x80070002"
I have the zip folder of files produced by SetupDiag.
The only clue I have to a possible source of this problem is that my computer's audio system is malfunctioning. These issues began after my machine started failing system updates. I can't get any sound out of my laptop's speakers or my headphone jack. I have to use USB speakers or a USB external sound card to get any audio output, which apparently also requires disabling the Microsoft High Definition Audio Device (otherwise I get no audio from any source). The Realtek Audio Driver has stopped appearing in my Device Manager even though it says it is installed after I reinstall it from the Acer website. The Realtek Audio Console window is now empty except for this:
"Realtek Audio Console doesn't support for this machine."
It used to be full of controls that functioned.
The Intel Smart Sound Technology BUS in Device Manager shows error code 39:
"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing."
No other drivers show any errors in Device Manager.
I've seen multiple people post online about this apparent audio driver / failed update issue with very similar symptoms. But I haven't seen how or if they resolved them.
I'm admittedly not a very capable or experienced system administrator. I'd appreciate any help I can get to resolve these issues.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
50 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2025-03-18T03:46:36+00:00 Sumit,
Electrons are once again flowing throughout our home. So I just finished the clean installs of the NVIDIA and Intel drivers. Everything went without any error messages. After the final reboot, I loaded "Check for updates" and was offered:
"2025-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5053602)". I applied this update, which proceeded without error, and after rebooting, "Check for updates" said I was up to date. Unsatisfied, I clicked the "Check for updates" button. Immediately, six Intel updates appeared:
Intel Corporation - Display - 32.0.101.5542
Intel Corporation - Extension - 32.0.101.5972
Intel Corporation - Extension - 32.0.101.5542
Intel Corporation - Extension - 32.0.101.5081
Intel Corporation - Extension - 32.0.101.4575
Intel Corporation - Extension - 32.0.101.4824
After a couple minutes of flashing and black screens, everything completed and I rebooted. "Check for updates" now says I'm up to date and no amount of button clicking can change it's mind. I'm a little confused as to why after months of being badgered to update to 24H2, now I can't make it appear in "Check for updates". Not complaining, just confused.
Should I attempt another iso install of 24H2 or just wait for it to reappear in "Check for updates"? Or is there something else that needs to be done next?
-
SD - IA 179.8K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-03-18T13:32:10+00:00 >>I'm a little confused as to why after months of being badgered to update to 24H2, now I can't make it appear in "Check for updates". Not complaining, just confused.
I wonder if subsequent failures has disabled the Windows 11 24H2 update offering. Windows stops offering the update after X retries to prevent unnecessary wastage of bandwidth. I recommend that you should try once manually.
-
Anonymous
2025-03-18T17:52:44+00:00 I've scoured the Intel and Acer sites, but I can't find the Intel Smart Sound Technology Drivers for my machine/OS.
-
Anonymous
2025-03-18T18:01:39+00:00 Sumit,
OK, this install failed, same error as before:
SetupDiag: processing rule: DriverPackageMissingFileFailure. .... Error: Found a missing file in driver package during device install. Failed to install driver package: intcsdw.inf, due to missing file: IntcSDW.sys. Provider: Intel(R) Corporation Class Guid: {4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} Driver Version: 08/25/2023,10.29.0.9677 Driver Package Id: intcsdw.inf_amd64_2d7cda5cbd4025ed Submission Id: 29989500_14623795341722612_1152921505696720839 Recommend you update the driver package or remove the driver package, reboot and try the update again. See: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/install/using-device-manager-to-uninstall-devices-and-driver-packages
As I've replied to Tekkie Boy, I can't find the Intel Smart Sound Technology Drivers for my machine/OS. It seems as if when I delete them and restart, perhaps only part of the package reinstalls. Maybe I need to reinstall the entire package. I'd feel better if the appropriate installer was sitting on my hard drive.