Windows 11 Install Fails, But In An Odd Way

Anonymous
2025-03-04T09:08:54+00:00

Hello! I've been attempting to upgrade (my unsupported (CPU is 1 gen too old)) computer to Windows 11. So I mount the ISO, go through the setup as usual. It says it's installing, I leave it (with sleep off). Then, when I return and restart the computer it brings me to the boot selection screen showing 'Windows 10' and 2 (yes, I tried twice) 'Windows 11 (Mounted On Volume 11)'. The computer is a Dell Inspiron 5675 (1600X, RX570), I have added an extra 1 TB SSD to the original 128GB SSD/1TB HDD. Both of the old drives are in there, the 128GB is the old system drive and still has everything on it. The 1TB is used for data storage.

I can't seem to find anything online about this.

Do these disks have anything to do with the problem? And how can I fix it? Thanks in advance!

Windows for home | Other | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-04T14:21:05+00:00

    Hello,

    I would recommend removing the unnecessary drive and then before you upgrade to Windows 11, go to msconfig and then remove all of the incorrect boot entries (don't touch "Current OS") as that's the Windows 10 installation that you're using right now.

    Hope to hear back from you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-06T06:54:39+00:00

    Here, only the Windows 10 boots.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-05T18:46:24+00:00

    Hello,

    On Windows 11, could you take a screenshot of the Boot menu of msinfo?

    Hope to hear back from you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-05T10:25:58+00:00

    I tried disabling both drives and then installing. But it also has the same result. But this time it does not say 'On Volume 11' or similar, it just shows Windows 10 and 11 as boot options. Only the Windows 10 one works...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-03-04T20:04:48+00:00

    Is there any way to remove the drive virtually? Because, if I recall correctly, I did not remove the drive because it would have been a hassle to (I believe it is squished in under cables next to the RAM).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments