When I turn on my computer, I get a blue screen with Bad System Config Info error and it keeps restarting and going to that same screen.

Anonymous
2025-04-26T22:10:39+00:00

I've tried turning it off and on repeatedly to get to the system repair screen but that doesn't work, so I'm stuck in it just keep restarting and going back to this blue screen. The screen says: "Your device ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart for you." Stop code is BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO The error comes up as Windows is loading after the Dell logo appears. This error came up after the computer used to load the Dell logo and then go to a blank screen. I tried resetting the Bios and putting it back to a previous state and neither worked. I also tried manually resetting the clock. I did a hardware diagnosis and that all came back clear. I called Dell and they said I needed to wipe my computer to it's original state because it's a Windows issue. I unplugged the computer for a bit and then when I turned it back on, I now get this blue screen showing up, restarting and showing up repeatedly. I tried hitting F12 to get it to the screen where I can do diagnosis tests, but that doesn't work either.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Manoel Barros 22,030 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-04-28T01:59:53+00:00

Thanks for your feedback!

To make things faster, you can format your disk. Since you have your important data saved in the cloud, you can follow the steps below:

  1. On the "Select location to install Windows 11" screen, open the terminal again by pressing SHIFT + F10 and type the commands below (in sequence):

diskpart

list disk

sel disk 0

clean

convert gpt

exit

exit

  1. Click Refresh > Select the formatted and cleaned Disk 0 > Click Next > Install Windows 11.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Manoel Barros 22,030 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-04-27T00:55:46+00:00

    Unfortunately, this indicates that your system is unable to restore to a previous point.

    You will have to perform a clean installation. To avoid losing your files, follow the steps below:

    1. On the Windows Installation Screen (where you have the options "Install Windows" and "Repair my PC"") , select Install Windows.
    2. If you do not have your Windows Key at the moment, click "I do not have a Product Key".
    3. If the Operating System selection options appear, choose the edition that came with your Windows originally > Next.
    • Home user is usually Windows Home or Windows Home Single Language.
    • If you are in doubt, select Home. If your Windows is Windows Pro, you can upgrade using your Activation Key.
    1. Accept the Terms > Next > Choose the option "Custom: Install Windows only (advanced)".
    2. In the Type column, see which Drive has the System Type > Select the Drive with the largest amount of storage (usually the System Partition), or with the Name Local Disk C > Wait for Windows to install.
    • You will be informed that there is an installation on the partition, ignore it and confirm.
    • If you are in doubt, take a Photo and attach it to the topic.
    1. When you get to the User Configuration screen, personalize your Windows, enter your Microsoft Account and proceed to finish the installation.
    2. When Windows starts, open File Explorer (WINDOWS + E) > This PC > Local Disk C > Windows.old > Users > Name of your old user account -> Open all folders and copy your personal files.

    Update Windows and Drivers

    When Windows starts, install the drivers and updates through Windows Update. Do not use third-party programs, as this may damage your PC. Use only Windows Update or the Manufacturer's Website.

    1. Open System Settings > Click on ''Update & Security'' > ''Windows Update'' > ''Check for updates''.
    2. Download all available updates. Click on ''Show optional updates'' marked in blue > Select all drivers and updates > Click on ''Download and Install''.
    3. When everything is finished, restart your computer > See if the problem will appear while performing the above steps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-04-27T01:01:41+00:00

    How do I get back to that windows installation screen?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Manoel Barros 22,030 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-04-27T01:04:34+00:00

    You need to restart your PC. Do not worry, the Windows Installation Screen will appear again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-04-27T01:11:30+00:00

    What do I do here?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments