sfc /scannow, DISM and Windows 11 Installation not working after KB5058502 failure

Anonymous
2025-06-07T00:01:24+00:00

I'm running Windows 11 and today the update KB5058502 attempted to install. However, an error occurred during the update which let to the system get stuck on "Undoing changes made to your computer", which would never actually complete. Through the use of Windows 11 install media on a USB stick, I was able to change the boot from "Windows Rollback" back to "Windows 11". The system mostly functions (Windows Explorer seems to behave normally and most applications seem to work fine), with a few exceptions:

  • Some applications fail to open with the error "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail."
  • Steam fails to open with the error "The code execution cannot proceed because C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controIs_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.22621.5262_none_6ebff4ba87ff320e\COMCTL32.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem."
  • sfc /scannow fails with the message "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service." (I checked and trustedInstaller is running)
  • DISM /Online fails with the message "Error: 193 An error occurred while attempting to start the servicing process for the image located at C:. For more information, review the log file."
  • Windows 11 Installation Assistant (trying to repair the Windows install) errors with "Installation failed", followed by "Something went wrong | Select Try again, and if that doesn't work, contact Microsoft support for help. Error code 0x800700c1"
  • Installing the KB5058502 update with the standalone installer fails with the message "This update is not applicable to your computer".

I'm assuming this is all because of corrupted files due to the update failing to install (apart from maybe the Windows 11 installation assistant failing, surely that shouldn't even be using installed files...?) Checking the CBS log, I've found that the following error is repeated over and over: "Failed to create CBS worker - waiting for a second and trying again".

OS Version 10.0.22631 Build 22631

Thanks!

Ben

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh Srinivasan 88,100 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-06-09T02:42:19+00:00

Hi,

The new errors are related to Store apps, and DISM can't fix them.

  1. Download Windows 11 Media Creation Tool (MCT) from this link:

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2156295

  1. Run MCT and download the ISO it recommends for your system. Do *not* uncheck "Use the recommended options for this PC".
  2. Right-click on the downloaded ISO and choose "Mount." This assigns the ISO a drive letter.
  3. Run setup.exe from the ISO drive. This starts the 24H2 in-place upgrade.

(Your files, settings and applications will be preserved if you use the ISO recommended for your system by the Media Creation Tool.)

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Ramesh Srinivasan 88,100 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-06-08T04:29:16+00:00

    Thanks for the update.

    1. You can update the BIOS directly using a USB stick. Please download the F15 BIOS from the link posted earlier.

    Then, see these Gigabyte tutorials:

    https://www.gigabyte.com/webpage/161/software-1....

    https://www.gigabyte.com/FileUpload/Global/WebP...

    1. After updating the BIOS, share your Farbar scan logs.
    1. Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool 64-bit (FRST64.exe)

    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farba...

    Note: If Microsoft Edge or Chrome mislabels the Farbar Scanner executable as PUA/malware, choose to keep it by tapping … in the bottom bar, choosing Keep, and then choosing Keep anyway in the dialog that appears.

    See this screenshot: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/me.... It's a safe tool used in most antimalware forums.

    1. If the OS language is not English, rename FRST64.exe to FRST64English.exe.
    2. Run the program. Don't check or uncheck any options. Click "Scan".
    3. Add the two logs, FRST.txt and Addition.txt, to a Zip archive, share them on OneDrive or GoFile.io and post the link here.

    Standard Disclaimer: There is a link to a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to provide accurate, safe information.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-08T03:18:37+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-06-08T02:41:21+00:00

    Hi questions_,

    1. the only way I could do this was to move most of my main userprofile's appdata folder, so I'm using another user account for the other tasks. (I doubt this is relevant but just in case) after doing this, over 30GB is free.
    2. as mentioned previously, I can't run Gigabyte's BIOS Update Software due to the COMCTL32.DLL error.
    3. I wasn't able to disable some startup apps through task manager; namely

    IAStorIconLaunch

    jusched

    Keepass

    nearby_share_launcher

    RtkAudUService64

    SecurityHealthSystray

    I'd guess this is because I'm on a secondary user account?

    1. I'm not able to do this conveniently as one of the drives is an M.2 NVME drive which I don't have easy access to.
    2. I tried this and got the same result as before (while in the mostly clean boot state, running as the secondary user) — it reaches the blue fullscreen installing screen and errors with "Installation failed". It doesn't show a follow-up message to say why.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more