Why does my PC keep booting into the bluescreen and not let me leave

Anonymous
2025-06-26T22:08:47+00:00

So I turned my PC on in the morning after putting it into sleep mode, I then proceeded to restart it because it wasn't opening my programs. After it restarted it sent me to the recovery page and it doesn't let me get out of it. I tried using my spare Windows 10 backup and that doesn't work either. Please help

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-07-01T04:01:24+00:00

You have been incredibly amazing to work with too. Glad that everything is working now. If all is resolved, feel free to mark the answer for this thread and feel free to choose a rating and have a great day Andrew!

All the best!

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-26T23:27:09+00:00

    Hi Andrew,

    Thank you for sharing your concern. I’m here to help you recover your system and get back into Windows.

    I understand how alarming it is to be stuck in a blue recovery screen.

    To help you further, I need to ask a few quick questions first.

    1. Have you recently installed any Windows updates, drivers, or new software before this started?
    2. Do you have a recovery USB or installation USB you can plug in to repair the system?
    3. Was BitLocker or any kind of disk encryption enabled on your system?
    4. Any changes you made on the system prior to this issue?

    While I wait for your reply, you can try to click Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Repair and choose your system drive (usually C:).

    Let Windows attempt to fix the boot problem.

    If that won't work, on the same Advanced options screen, choose Command Prompt.
    Type these commands one at a time, pressing Enter after each:

    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd

    Close Command Prompt and restart your PC.

    If that doesn’t work or gives an error like "access denied", let me know, and I’ll give alternate steps.

    If you have enabled system restore, you can also try that, Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System Restore.
    Choose a restore point before this issue started.

    Let the process complete and restart.

    If that’s not available or it fails, I’ll walk you through rebuilding the boot configuration or accessing your files using recovery tools.

    Let me know how it goes. We will fix it together.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-27T02:06:41+00:00

    Thank you for replying, I have done all off those steps and it keeps showing the same screen. If I unplug my thumbstick with the copy of windows the PC says "There is no operating system found"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-06-27T04:24:12+00:00

    Hi Andrew,

    Thank you for the update. This tells us that Windows is either corrupted or missing entirely from your internal drive, or your PC isn’t detecting it properly.

    Please try these steps for me.

    ****Turn off your PC, then turn it back on and press DEL, ESC, or F2 repeatedly to enter BIOS/UEFI depends on your PC.

    Once inside, check

    Is your internal drive (SSD or HDD) listed?

    Under Boot Order, make sure your main system drive is first after your USB if inserted.

    If you see anything like “UEFI” or “Legacy Boot”, take note and let me know.

    ****Boot from your USB Windows installer

    Choose Repair your computer > Troubleshoot > Command Prompt

    In Command Prompt, type the following to check for partitions to check if Windows is still on the drive.

    diskpart

    list disk

    select disk 0

    list volume

    Let me know if there’s a volume with “Windows” or NTFS around 50GB+, this tells us if the OS files are still there

    *****If you saw the Windows volume above, type

    exit

    C:

    dir

    Enter one at a time in Command Prompt.

    See if it lists folders like Windows, Users, Program Files. If it does, we can try recovering it from here.

    *****If Windows is gone or unbootable

    We can reinstall Windows without losing your files by choosing Custom Install during setup and not formatting the drive, it will move your files into a folder called Windows.old. You can then copy them back after the install.

    If your SSD/HDD doesn’t show up in BIOS or via diskpart, then your drive might have failed. But we’ll confirm that before making any assumptions.

    Please let me know what you see after following steps 1–3. Once I know what your BIOS sees and what’s on disk. I’ll stay with you on this until we get your PC working again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-06-27T09:18:37+00:00

    Thank you, I found out my C drive has 0B free maybe thats why? And if so how can I free up the space. I also do still see all my windows drives

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments