WIndows 10 PC not updating

Anonymous
2025-04-28T18:49:51+00:00

This issue has been happening for months now. When I try to update my computer to the latest update, it goes up until 97% and says sorry we couldn't install this update or something like that. then it reverts these updates. i need help fixing this issue! thanks

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-05-03T16:36:43+00:00

    Hi,

    Hi,

    I’ve been trying to get into the WindowsRE using the steps you gave me but whenever I restart my PC it gets stuck on ‘Getting Windows ready. Please don’t turn off your computer’ for a long time. Right now it’s been taking close to an hour doing so. I tried doing this method twice already and it would just skip the WindowsRE after the PC finished getting ready

    I will try your other steps too from the links and see if that helps.

    Looks like an update is in progress. Please try again after it fails/rolls back.

    If the native WinRE is inaccessible, you can boot into WinRE using the setup disk.

    Create installation media for Windows - Microsoft Support:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-05-03T21:21:12+00:00

    I’m having no luck. The process just skips WinRE for me completely. Like whenever I restart, it will say Getting Windows Ready, it will update with a percentage, and then skip the WinRE page and goes to the usual login screen

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-05-04T02:35:28+00:00

    I think you didn't change the boot order. It's booting from HDD/SSD instead of USB.

    Have you selected the USB setup disk in the one-time boot menu?

    How to Enter the BIOS on Any PC: Access Keys by Manufacturer | Tom's Hardware: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bios-keys-to-access-your-firmware,5732.html

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-05-04T06:05:20+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-05-04T06:09:00+00:00

    Please run:

    • xcopy /h Y:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD  C:\
    • format Y: /fs:FAT32 /q
    • bcdboot  C:\Windows /s Y: /f UEFI

    Post the output.

    Note:

    When you run the format command, you'll be prompted to type the current volume label. Press Enter. When prompted for the new volume label, type EFI and press Enter.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments