How to solve "The Installation Failed in the Second Boot Phase" 0xC1900101 - 0x40017

Anonymous
2025-06-26T21:46:02+00:00

I've been trying to upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 for over a month now. Each time I get blue screen message stating: Inaccessable Boot Device. After my computer loads back into Windows 10 I get another error message saying that the Installation Failed in the Second Boot Phase. I've tried upgrade via the upgrade exe file that you can get from microsoft, and through a Windows 11 installation media file that I created.

I've also tried removing all excess/old drivers and ensuring that all of my drivers, and my BIOS are up to date. I've tried enabling and disabling secure boot, unplugging everything except my mouse, hard drives, and an aRGB controller that is pretty difficult to get to.

I also made sure to check my discs and registry to remove and repair any issues there.

My computer specs are:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
ASUS TUF X470-Plus Gaming
Corsair Vengance RGB PRO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @ 3200mhz
ASUS TUF RTX 3070 8GB

Drives:
Main OS -> C:/NVMe Samsung 980 1TB
Game Storage -> E:/NVMe Crucial P3 4TB - CT4000P3PSSD8
Back Up Storage -> D:/SATA SSD SPCC 238GB

Below is a copy of my setupapi.dev.log file from my most recent attempt. I thought I could maybe decode it myself with some googling but I honestly have no idea what I'm looking at to know if I'm hunting down the correct things.

setupapi.dev.log

Update: we were unable to upgrade to windows 11 without doing a fresh install. But this issue persisted even when trying to do a fresh install so I have marked the solution for when you get these errors while attempting a fresh install that worked for me.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ivan B 124.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-06-27T23:01:45+00:00

Hi ,

In this case, you created the USB flash drive but did not install it by booting from the USB flash drive?

In this case, you have access to the BIOS, disable Secure Boot and CSM > save settings > Access the BIOS again, go to the Boot tab, select USB flash driver as the first boot option and the boot method must be UEFI. Save.

When restarting the PC, press any key on the keyboard to start the Windows installation process.

Remember, you must select the same version of Windows 10 that you are using for the license. If it is Home or Pro, select the version that you have the license for.

On the installation location selection screen, be careful when selecting the SSD. You can usually base your selection on the size and you must exclude the partition units that have Windows 10. If I am right, yours would be Disk 1. However, if you have any doubts, take a photo and post it here.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Independent Advisor - Community

Thanks

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Ivan B 124.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-06-27T01:34:46+00:00

    Hi ,

    I am Ivan, I will help you with this.

    I'm checking the log at the moment, but as it's failing several times, I think the best option would be a clean installation of what you're trying to update. Don't worry about the license. Your license windows 10 will work directly on Windows 11

    Even if you manage to perform the update, you may experience problems while using Windows 11.

    .Independent Advisor - Community

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Ivan B 124.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-06-27T01:57:38+00:00

    Hi ,

    Initially I found two drivers presenting problems causing the failure, the first one is your Razer Basilisk V2 and the other one reports a failure in the driver with the SSD that needs an update or is pending something.

    Independent Advisor - Community

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-06-27T02:06:08+00:00

    I appreciate your help, could you advise which drive number it is? I've updated all my drivers for the Razer Equipment I have and for my SSDs, so I can try disconnecting the SSD that is giving the issue.

    I'll have to look into that Razer Driver since I've never owned a Basilisk and I don't see one in device manager either. Is there anything that you can think of that might help me find/remove this driver?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Ivan B 124.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-06-27T02:19:19+00:00

    Hi ,

    I'm sorry, I tried to identify it by ID, but according to the information, the peripheral and Razer are causing the problem during the process.

    Now the SSD that is causing the failure is mainly Samsung, but there are several errors with drivers lost during the second update process.

    If possible, you can check if you have this log file and upload it

    C:$Windows.~BT\Sources\panther\setupact.log

    Independent Advisor - Community

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments