How to solve "The Installation Failed in the Second Boot Phase" 0xC1900101 - 0x40017

Anonymous
2025-06-26T21:46:02+00:00

I've been trying to upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 for over a month now. Each time I get blue screen message stating: Inaccessable Boot Device. After my computer loads back into Windows 10 I get another error message saying that the Installation Failed in the Second Boot Phase. I've tried upgrade via the upgrade exe file that you can get from microsoft, and through a Windows 11 installation media file that I created.

I've also tried removing all excess/old drivers and ensuring that all of my drivers, and my BIOS are up to date. I've tried enabling and disabling secure boot, unplugging everything except my mouse, hard drives, and an aRGB controller that is pretty difficult to get to.

I also made sure to check my discs and registry to remove and repair any issues there.

My computer specs are:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
ASUS TUF X470-Plus Gaming
Corsair Vengance RGB PRO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @ 3200mhz
ASUS TUF RTX 3070 8GB

Drives:
Main OS -> C:/NVMe Samsung 980 1TB
Game Storage -> E:/NVMe Crucial P3 4TB - CT4000P3PSSD8
Back Up Storage -> D:/SATA SSD SPCC 238GB

Below is a copy of my setupapi.dev.log file from my most recent attempt. I thought I could maybe decode it myself with some googling but I honestly have no idea what I'm looking at to know if I'm hunting down the correct things.

setupapi.dev.log

Update: we were unable to upgrade to windows 11 without doing a fresh install. But this issue persisted even when trying to do a fresh install so I have marked the solution for when you get these errors while attempting a fresh install that worked for me.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ivan B 124.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-06-27T23:01:45+00:00

Hi ,

In this case, you created the USB flash drive but did not install it by booting from the USB flash drive?

In this case, you have access to the BIOS, disable Secure Boot and CSM > save settings > Access the BIOS again, go to the Boot tab, select USB flash driver as the first boot option and the boot method must be UEFI. Save.

When restarting the PC, press any key on the keyboard to start the Windows installation process.

Remember, you must select the same version of Windows 10 that you are using for the license. If it is Home or Pro, select the version that you have the license for.

On the installation location selection screen, be careful when selecting the SSD. You can usually base your selection on the size and you must exclude the partition units that have Windows 10. If I am right, yours would be Disk 1. However, if you have any doubts, take a photo and post it here.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Independent Advisor - Community

Thanks

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-27T20:09:01+00:00

    Unfortunately I encounter the same error.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Ivan B 124.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-06-27T10:46:42+00:00

    Hi ,

    I will be waiting for your response whether it worked or not.

    Independent Advisor - Community

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-06-27T08:12:24+00:00
    1. Please run the V2 log collector and post a share link into this thread using drop box, or google drive

    BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums

    BSOD - Posting Instructions | Windows 11 Forum (elevenforum.com)

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/136792-change-display-language-windows-10-a.html#option1

    1. Run: upgrade_failure_info > post a share link

    https://www.tenforums.com/attachments/bsod-crashes-debugging/353454d1638278360-batch-files-use-bsod-debugging-upgrade_failure_info.bat

    Batch files for use in BSOD debugging - Windows 10 Help Forums

    Batch files for use in BSOD debugging - Windows 10 Help Forums

    1. Run Tuneup plus > post a share link

    https://www.tenforums.com/attachmen...-files-use-bsod-debugging-tuneup_plus_log.bat

    Batch files for use in BSOD debugging - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

    Batch files for use in BSOD debugging - Windows 10 Forums

    1. Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste:

    fltmc

    schtasks.exe /Run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"

    reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\TargetVersionUpgradeExperienceIndicators" /s

    dism /online /get-drivers /format:table >c:\drivers.txt

    Post share links.

    1. Run disk partition info > post a share link

    https://www.tenforums.com/attachments/bsod-crashes-debugging/355861d1640707960-batch-files-use-bsod-debugging-diskparinfo.bat

    https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/162488-batch-files-use-bsod-debugging.html#post1994162

    Batch files for use in BSOD debugging - Windows 10 Help Forums

    For share links please use drop box or google drive.Make sure that links are available without sign in.

    https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2424384?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-06-27T05:34:20+00:00

    Please run:

    • pnputil /delete-driver oem115.inf /uninstall /force
    • pnputil /delete-driver oem120.inf /uninstall /force
    • pnputil /delete-driver oem146.inf /uninstall /force
    • pnputil /delete-driver oem202.inf /uninstall /force
    • pnputil /delete-driver oem7.inf /uninstall /force
    • pnputil /delete-driver oem74.inf /uninstall /force
    • pnputil /delete-driver oem94.inf /uninstall /force

    Run DDU to remove the display drivers cleanly.

    Reinstall NVidia drivers.

    Unplug all hardware except Kbd/Mouse/Wi-Fi. Re-run the setup.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments