How to solve "The Installation Failed in the Second Boot Phase" 0xC1900101 - 0x40017

Anonymous
2025-06-26T21:46:02+00:00

I've been trying to upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 for over a month now. Each time I get blue screen message stating: Inaccessable Boot Device. After my computer loads back into Windows 10 I get another error message saying that the Installation Failed in the Second Boot Phase. I've tried upgrade via the upgrade exe file that you can get from microsoft, and through a Windows 11 installation media file that I created.

I've also tried removing all excess/old drivers and ensuring that all of my drivers, and my BIOS are up to date. I've tried enabling and disabling secure boot, unplugging everything except my mouse, hard drives, and an aRGB controller that is pretty difficult to get to.

I also made sure to check my discs and registry to remove and repair any issues there.

My computer specs are:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
ASUS TUF X470-Plus Gaming
Corsair Vengance RGB PRO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @ 3200mhz
ASUS TUF RTX 3070 8GB

Drives:
Main OS -> C:/NVMe Samsung 980 1TB
Game Storage -> E:/NVMe Crucial P3 4TB - CT4000P3PSSD8
Back Up Storage -> D:/SATA SSD SPCC 238GB

Below is a copy of my setupapi.dev.log file from my most recent attempt. I thought I could maybe decode it myself with some googling but I honestly have no idea what I'm looking at to know if I'm hunting down the correct things.

setupapi.dev.log

Update: we were unable to upgrade to windows 11 without doing a fresh install. But this issue persisted even when trying to do a fresh install so I have marked the solution for when you get these errors while attempting a fresh install that worked for me.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ivan B 124.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-06-27T23:01:45+00:00

Hi ,

In this case, you created the USB flash drive but did not install it by booting from the USB flash drive?

In this case, you have access to the BIOS, disable Secure Boot and CSM > save settings > Access the BIOS again, go to the Boot tab, select USB flash driver as the first boot option and the boot method must be UEFI. Save.

When restarting the PC, press any key on the keyboard to start the Windows installation process.

Remember, you must select the same version of Windows 10 that you are using for the license. If it is Home or Pro, select the version that you have the license for.

On the installation location selection screen, be careful when selecting the SSD. You can usually base your selection on the size and you must exclude the partition units that have Windows 10. If I am right, yours would be Disk 1. However, if you have any doubts, take a photo and post it here.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Independent Advisor - Community

Thanks

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-27T03:48:31+00:00

    Here is the output log

    Fixlog.txt

    Tried to turn on Memory Integrity but there is an Intel HD Graphics Driver stopping it. I'm not sure where to go to delete that since it's not showing in my device manager though.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Ivan B 124.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-06-27T03:40:48+00:00

    Hi ,

    Well we have to fix the boot space, this must be the problem that setupact presents and I recommend uninstalling ccleaner from your PC.

    I recommend using Minitool partition wizard Access minitool partition wizard again, it will reduce at least 1 gb of local disk c apply then extend the boot partition from 100 mb to 1 gb and apply.

    Open the command prompt (admin) and run the commands: sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth, wait for the process to finish and restart the computer.

    Then perform a clean boot and if you want to uninstall applications that you do not use.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-t...

    Go to the search bar and type disk cleanup > select clean system files > select all options and click okay.

    Uninstall the Razer and Corsair applications and CCleaner.

    After these procedures, you will access the BIOS and activate Secure Boot and TPM.

    You will update the BIOS to the latest version.

    https://dlcdnta.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/BIOS/TUF-X... 66muck-ibysebEsWs0kaqSSgs8RHBG93QpwLrMc5Ep4khS1VptSurRSx6NJajZvpCzla85LwNh3B3XGxG158yQoODp6hdvElU8tq6RbtE7ym-~Xn2M~ChIy2T0U sSUem-LKdDXG8vq1gs1yorgzgUxz-1o~LjwAQbxgDG5Y33-gtsQAyhNeKMTIZr9rjETGvaV9pZag__&Expires=1750995663&Key-Pair-Id=K2ITB7O97XKKCX

    Procedure: https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1008859/

    If after bios update everything starts windows and follow the bios update procedure correctly do not interrupt the bios update process.

    You can try to update

    https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2171764

    1. When the update assistance process goes to blue screen disconnect from the internet.. Do the entire process without being connected and remove all peripherals, leaving only the mouse and keyboard. Leave everything else disconnected.

    Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

    Independent Advisor - Community

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-06-27T03:26:03+00:00

    Please run the fixlist below.

    • Download fixlist.txt
    • Save Fixlist.txt to the same folder as FRST64.exe.
    • Close all programs.
    • Launch the Farbar Scanner tool and click "Fix".
    • Restart Windows when prompted.
    • Upload the output log file (FixLog.txt) to OneDrive or GoFile.io.

    The fixlist removes some outdated drivers, runs a drivers assessment, and refreshes the compatibility assessment. Your browser's cache and cookies will also be cleared.

    NOTE: The fixlist.txt script was written specifically for this user and for use on that particular machine. It is not recommended to run it on another machine, and don't run the same fixlist.txt more than once.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-06-27T03:23:01+00:00

    Backed up, I'll go adjust the BIOS setting too real quick.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments