How to solve "The Installation Failed in the Second Boot Phase" 0xC1900101 - 0x40017

Anonymous
2025-06-26T21:46:02+00:00

I've been trying to upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 for over a month now. Each time I get blue screen message stating: Inaccessable Boot Device. After my computer loads back into Windows 10 I get another error message saying that the Installation Failed in the Second Boot Phase. I've tried upgrade via the upgrade exe file that you can get from microsoft, and through a Windows 11 installation media file that I created.

I've also tried removing all excess/old drivers and ensuring that all of my drivers, and my BIOS are up to date. I've tried enabling and disabling secure boot, unplugging everything except my mouse, hard drives, and an aRGB controller that is pretty difficult to get to.

I also made sure to check my discs and registry to remove and repair any issues there.

My computer specs are:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
ASUS TUF X470-Plus Gaming
Corsair Vengance RGB PRO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @ 3200mhz
ASUS TUF RTX 3070 8GB

Drives:
Main OS -> C:/NVMe Samsung 980 1TB
Game Storage -> E:/NVMe Crucial P3 4TB - CT4000P3PSSD8
Back Up Storage -> D:/SATA SSD SPCC 238GB

Below is a copy of my setupapi.dev.log file from my most recent attempt. I thought I could maybe decode it myself with some googling but I honestly have no idea what I'm looking at to know if I'm hunting down the correct things.

setupapi.dev.log

Update: we were unable to upgrade to windows 11 without doing a fresh install. But this issue persisted even when trying to do a fresh install so I have marked the solution for when you get these errors while attempting a fresh install that worked for me.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ivan B 124.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-06-27T23:01:45+00:00

Hi ,

In this case, you created the USB flash drive but did not install it by booting from the USB flash drive?

In this case, you have access to the BIOS, disable Secure Boot and CSM > save settings > Access the BIOS again, go to the Boot tab, select USB flash driver as the first boot option and the boot method must be UEFI. Save.

When restarting the PC, press any key on the keyboard to start the Windows installation process.

Remember, you must select the same version of Windows 10 that you are using for the license. If it is Home or Pro, select the version that you have the license for.

On the installation location selection screen, be careful when selecting the SSD. You can usually base your selection on the size and you must exclude the partition units that have Windows 10. If I am right, yours would be Disk 1. However, if you have any doubts, take a photo and post it here.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Independent Advisor - Community

Thanks

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-27T02:55:43+00:00

    Here is the log

    FRST Logs.zip

    I don't have core isolation/memory integrity as options in device security. I tried searching it in the start menu, clicked on it, and got an error message saying: 'The page you are trying to access has no supported features and is not available.'

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Ivan B 124.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-06-27T02:48:01+00:00

    Hi ,

    As the SetupAct is long, it will take a while for me to analyze what I have already found, failures with access to the partitions of your Samsung SSD and failures with the Razer peripheral and failure of the Corsair application.

    0xc1900101-0x40017 Well, this error code may be a driver failure.

    I recommend a clean installation of Windows 11 due to the failures found or we will have to try to uninstall some applications and disable several other applications. If you perform the clean installation, it is recommended that it will not affect other SSDs, only the Samsung.

    Why try a clean installation?

    Independent Advisor - Community

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-06-27T02:42:49+00:00
    1. Please share your Farbar scan logs for analysis.

    Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool 64-bit (FRST64.exe)

    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/

    Note: If Microsoft Edge or Chrome mislabels the Farbar Scanner executable as PUA/malware, choose to keep it by tapping … in the bottom bar, choosing Keep, and then choosing Keep anyway in the dialog that appears.

    See this screenshot: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/media/microsoft-edge-security-download-interruptions/dowload-was-blocked.png. It's a safe tool used in most antimalware forums.

    If the OS language is not English, rename FRST64.exe to FRST64English.exe.

    Run the program. Don't check or uncheck any options. Click "Scan".

    Add the two logs, FRST.txt and Addition.txt, to a Zip archive, share them on OneDrive or GoFile.io and post the link here.

    1. Enable Memory Integrity. To do so, go to Windows Security > Device security > Core isolation details > Memory integrity. If it shows any incompatible drivers, post the screenshot here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-06-27T02:28:14+00:00

    I appreciate you looking into this for me, the file is included below, along with a setupdiag result I ran.

    results.log

    setupact.log

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments