Getting the old version of Notepad on Windows 11

Anonymous
2022-03-22T11:56:12+00:00

Hello,

I am a blind user who frequently uses the Notepad application. On my Windows 11 laptop, I’m having difficulty to read the content and Braille. I can hear it with my screen reader, but I can’t read it properly. So, when I want to write code properly, I use my Windows 10 PC. Is there a way to have the old version of Notepad? If not, is there any alternative?

Regards,

Olivier

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Microsoft Store

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
_AW_ 69,496 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2022-10-14T13:11:34+00:00

This is tested and working, no uninstallation necessary.

Open Settings > Apps

In the center pane select Advanced app settings > App execution aliases

Toggle off Notepad

Then go to the old Notepad at C:\Windows\Notepad.exe and right click > Pin to the taskbar/Pin to start/Send to Desktop

Launch the old Notepad from the shortcut you just created

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2022-10-14T13:07:32+00:00

not working for me and I find no other wait to have the old windows 10 notepad.

Not sure what you tried. But check out this article.

How to Restore Old Classic Notepad in Windows 11

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/restore-old-classic-notepad-windows/

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-08-01T13:02:23+00:00

    Yes, it works but old Notepad cannot be associated as a Windows default program to open .txt files...soooo the irony :) Still you can open old Notepad then chose File then chose Open then chose a file to open. But that is the best it can do. At least on my Windows 11.

    The only issue i have with the new Notepad is the side scroll - it is very uncomfortable that it is hidden and sooo tiny. Yes, it is slick, but very user unuseful for someone that is used to working with a touch pad without a scroll. I will get to use Page down and up buttons in the end - just like i did with Win+D to show desktop instead of the good old right click on Taskbar - Show Desktop. But i will hate it. I still hate Google for discontinuing Google Reader (2013) and Picassa (2016).

    Also the new Win11 righ click shortlist menu - it misses some of my most used options Send To, Edit, Unzip in current folder . Can we customize these?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-08-26T13:58:40+00:00

    go to settings, click apps on the left side, advanced app settings, app execution aliases, and uncheck notepad.

    boom. done. no restarting needed. although you still can get the new uwp notepad from the start menu, i usually use win+r and type notepad.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-09-21T13:44:43+00:00

    Hello,

    I have the same problem but unfortunately this method to correct the issue did not work for me...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments