Getting the old version of Notepad on Windows 11

Anonymous
2022-03-22T11:56:12+00:00

Hello,

I am a blind user who frequently uses the Notepad application. On my Windows 11 laptop, I’m having difficulty to read the content and Braille. I can hear it with my screen reader, but I can’t read it properly. So, when I want to write code properly, I use my Windows 10 PC. Is there a way to have the old version of Notepad? If not, is there any alternative?

Regards,

Olivier

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Microsoft Store

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
_AW_ 69,496 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2022-10-14T13:11:34+00:00

This is tested and working, no uninstallation necessary.

Open Settings > Apps

In the center pane select Advanced app settings > App execution aliases

Toggle off Notepad

Then go to the old Notepad at C:\Windows\Notepad.exe and right click > Pin to the taskbar/Pin to start/Send to Desktop

Launch the old Notepad from the shortcut you just created

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2022-10-14T13:07:32+00:00

not working for me and I find no other wait to have the old windows 10 notepad.

Not sure what you tried. But check out this article.

How to Restore Old Classic Notepad in Windows 11

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/restore-old-classic-notepad-windows/

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-09T11:00:35+00:00

    Thank you, AbsolutelyFreeWeb! This is extremely useful info!

    It worked immediately, too. There was no need to reboot.

    Now I have both Notepads on the Open With menu. The very first time I tested it, choosing the old Notepad on the Open With menu took me to the "Choose another app" menu, but after that it took me directly to the old Notepad.

    (The only way to tell the two Notepads apart is by the icons.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-18T10:54:34+00:00

    What  "Optional features"
    THERE IS NO SINGLE RIGHT ANSWER ON THIS SITE!!!!!!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-09-17T11:12:34+00:00

    my game crashed gta 5 cause (Notepad.exe) what is that ? pls windows can help me

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments