Getting the old version of Notepad on Windows 11

Anonymous
2022-03-22T11:56:12+00:00

Hello,

I am a blind user who frequently uses the Notepad application. On my Windows 11 laptop, I’m having difficulty to read the content and Braille. I can hear it with my screen reader, but I can’t read it properly. So, when I want to write code properly, I use my Windows 10 PC. Is there a way to have the old version of Notepad? If not, is there any alternative?

Regards,

Olivier

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Microsoft Store

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
_AW_ 69,496 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2022-10-14T13:11:34+00:00

This is tested and working, no uninstallation necessary.

Open Settings > Apps

In the center pane select Advanced app settings > App execution aliases

Toggle off Notepad

Then go to the old Notepad at C:\Windows\Notepad.exe and right click > Pin to the taskbar/Pin to start/Send to Desktop

Launch the old Notepad from the shortcut you just created

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2022-10-14T13:07:32+00:00

not working for me and I find no other wait to have the old windows 10 notepad.

Not sure what you tried. But check out this article.

How to Restore Old Classic Notepad in Windows 11

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/restore-old-classic-notepad-windows/

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-11T06:10:41+00:00

    Simply right-clicking Notepad and choosing Uninstall works perfectly. Now when I Win+R "notepad" the good old FUNCTIONAL AND FAST notepad works perfectly.

    Never would I have believed that 40 years later we would have to wait for notepad to LOAD. Insane.

    Unfortunately the uninstall method does not work for calc.exe :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-12-19T08:56:14+00:00

    The Windows 11 Notepad is a disaster!
    I have been using the editor since the early 90's, to adjust simple configurations Notepad has been one of the most usable programs since MS dos. Unfortunately, Microsoft has now ruined this with the app designers of the generation that can only sing and paint.
    I use the Totalcommander to download a wp-config.php from an FTP server, change entries and close my Notepad with ALT-F4 Notepad asks if it should save I say YES. Everything is beautiful and it's fast.
    Now comes an update, Notepad needed a rework... IT DOES NOT NEED IT! it's like a ruler, you can make it colorful, but changing the scale causes problems!

    The new Notepad no longer asks to save when closing, much better it just shows me more versions of the same file when I open it again.

    Dear Microsoft Team if I want this I use Notepad++ !
    Restore the classic editor system without tabs and ALT-F4 with save request without reopening the last edited file as soon as possible!
    if you like, make your new tool an optional upgrade

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-12-17T14:07:20+00:00

    Oh man, this worked soooo easily, and well. I think I'd tried everything else but it just didn't work. I was desperate to get back my old faithful plain text editor. I hate the new one -- it's way way too much hassle to use. In any case, thank you so much for posting this solution!

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments