Getting the old version of Notepad on Windows 11

Anonymous
2022-03-22T11:56:12+00:00

Hello,

I am a blind user who frequently uses the Notepad application. On my Windows 11 laptop, I’m having difficulty to read the content and Braille. I can hear it with my screen reader, but I can’t read it properly. So, when I want to write code properly, I use my Windows 10 PC. Is there a way to have the old version of Notepad? If not, is there any alternative?

Regards,

Olivier

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Microsoft Store

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
_AW_ 69,496 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2022-10-14T13:11:34+00:00

This is tested and working, no uninstallation necessary.

Open Settings > Apps

In the center pane select Advanced app settings > App execution aliases

Toggle off Notepad

Then go to the old Notepad at C:\Windows\Notepad.exe and right click > Pin to the taskbar/Pin to start/Send to Desktop

Launch the old Notepad from the shortcut you just created

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2022-10-14T13:07:32+00:00

not working for me and I find no other wait to have the old windows 10 notepad.

Not sure what you tried. But check out this article.

How to Restore Old Classic Notepad in Windows 11

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/restore-old-classic-notepad-windows/

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-03-22T14:04:20+00:00

    Hello Carlo,

     Thanks for your answer. When I find the Notepad app, it only gives me the option of uninstalling it. I found it in the Installed Features section. What will it do if I uninstall it? I think I’ll try on another Windows 11 system that I don’t care to break.

    Stay safe too.

    Regards,

    Olivier

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-03-22T12:33:14+00:00

    Good Day OlivierD'Anjou,

    My name is Carlo, I am also using Windows 11 pc and community member like you.

    Here's the steps you can try.

    -Right-click on the Start button and select Settings from the menu.

    -On the list on the left-hand side, select Apps.

    -From the right pane, select Optional features.

    -Click on View Features corresponding to Add an Optional feature.

    -Search for Notepad from the list and check the box associated with it.

    -Click on Next. On the next page, click on Install.

    Reboot the system after Notepad has been installed.

    Have a wonderful day ahead and stay safe.

    Sincerely,

    Carlo T.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments