Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD

Anonymous
2022-03-31T00:10:33+00:00

Hey all, I am Dizah.

I recently upgraded my computer with a V-GEN SSD, I installed it properly and it works. I cloned my HDD to my SSD. I changed the boot priority 1 as my SSD and disable the boot priority 2. The restart process happened, I successfully signed in to my computer. But then I checked the disk management, I found that the booting process still happens from the HDD, as this image shows.

I am unsure that I have successfully switched the booting process from HDD to SSD. If anyone could get back to me that would be great.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2022-04-03T03:27:26+00:00

That indicates BIOS did indeed direct the boot to EFI of the SSD. Its BCD is in use & can't be renamed. So, let's do it from the Recovery Environment (RE). But drive letters may be different there. So...

(a) Click any Power icon, then hold Shift as you click Restart.

 That should reboot to the RE at the "**Choose an Option**" screen.

(b) Click "Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt"

 That reboots again to a Command Prompt.

(c) Enter the following commands...

DiskPart <<<Enter DiskPart

List Vol <<<List the volumes & their letters

=== Examine the listing to see what letter is on the partition of size 118 GB. That will ===

=== be the SSD's Windows partition. Use that letter instead of E: (if different) in the ===

===BCDBoot command below. And if Volume 5 has a letter, use it instead of S:. ===

Image

List Disk <<<See that Disk 1 is the SSD by its size

Select Disk 1 <<<Focus on the SSD

Select Partition 1 <<< EFI System partition of the SSD

Assign Letter=S <<<Give it letter S (if it doesn't already have a letter)

Exit <<<Exit DiskPart

DEL S:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD.old <<<In case BCD.old exists, delete it

REN S:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD BCD.old <<<Rename current BCD to BCD.old (not necessarily S:)

BCDBoot E:\Windows /s S: /f UEFI <<<Not necessarily letters E: or S:

DiskPart

Select Vol=S <<<Focus on EFI (not necessarily letter S:)

Remove Letter=S <<<Remove the letter S

Exit

(d) Close the Command Prompt with its "X" or type Exit.

(e) Click "Continue" to reboot to Windows

That should do it. Good luck. After booting, show me the BCD. You won't be able to copy/paste in the RE, so print this out first.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-03-31T00:14:29+00:00

    If the HDD has an MBR partition then it could still boot yes. That should be the two 260MB partitions. One for SSD and one for HDD.

    There's various ways you can go but you can pull the HDD, then attach it from an external enclosure, format it, shutdown, attach it internally, boot and all good.

    You could do something like make a gparted usb and boot that and format it as well and reboot and it should boot fully from the SSD that way.

    etc.

    I'd advise for less risk though from HDD to SSD that you clean install the OS instead. It might be fine and fully get it right but there's risk there. At the very least though if you don't then make sure in optimize and defrag tool that it shows "optimize" for the SSD instead of defrag. If it shows defrag for it then don't waste time in doing a clean install of the OS. That would hurt the SSD drive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments