PDF Indexing is working on Windows 11 (even with the standard PDF indexer), however, you can only search for file contents via File Explorer and not via Search / Taskbar Search.
Windows 11 Windows Search not searching or Indexing PDFs
Brand new Dell XPS laptop with Windows 11. It will not search text within PDF files. From looking on the internet seems like there are lots of problems Windows Search in Windows 11 which did not exist in Windows 10. Including not searching/indexing contents of PDF files, which is critical for me.
Has ANYONE been able to search within PDF files on Windows 11?
Please don't suggest re-indexing, have done 6 or 7 times. And, yes indexing settings are set to index contents of PDF files.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 additional answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2022-10-25T14:10:13+00:00 I had understood that his issue was now fixed in the current version. I am still on a bet version (where searching has long worked correctly) but was about to switch to the non-beta version, understanding from the comments of others that searching within PDF and other files was now working in the current Windows 11 version. Is that not correct? Are there still search issues?
-
Anonymous
2022-10-25T19:31:41+00:00 OK, I understand. I have always relied on the searching within File Explorer method. So it sounds like Windows 11 is good for my purposes--until Microsoft decides to break this.
-
Anonymous
2022-12-25T13:35:19+00:00 So this issue appears to be still outstanding. I cannot get any search function to search on the contents of a PDF file. HELLO MICROSOFT!!!!!!!!