PDF Indexing is working on Windows 11 (even with the standard PDF indexer), however, you can only search for file contents via File Explorer and not via Search / Taskbar Search.
Windows 11 Windows Search not searching or Indexing PDFs
Brand new Dell XPS laptop with Windows 11. It will not search text within PDF files. From looking on the internet seems like there are lots of problems Windows Search in Windows 11 which did not exist in Windows 10. Including not searching/indexing contents of PDF files, which is critical for me.
Has ANYONE been able to search within PDF files on Windows 11?
Please don't suggest re-indexing, have done 6 or 7 times. And, yes indexing settings are set to index contents of PDF files.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 additional answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2022-03-18T00:54:26+00:00 OK. I have had this issue today. Innitially it was working. I think its related to installing adobe on the computer. I installed adobe acrobat . DO you have that on your computer as well? I am trying to see if uninstalling it will work. Will keep you posted
-
Anonymous
2022-03-16T14:45:14+00:00 Enormously frustrating that Microsoft does not even recognize this critical defect as an issue.
-
Anonymous
2022-03-15T19:23:56+00:00 I just want to highlight this exact point, as I am experiencing the same problems: Any standard solutions which are recommended everywhere are just not working. It's a windows 11 specific problem and it's an absolut shame, that it is not even recognised.
-
Anonymous
2022-03-14T01:56:13+00:00 But this does not work, for PDFs. That was the point of my original post. PDF content searching has been possible in Explorer for many, many years. It does work on at least some other file types (like docx). Now, based on other postings, it seems to be broken in Windows 11. Still works fine on my Windows 10 machine.