Windows 11 Windows Search not searching or Indexing PDFs

Anonymous
2022-03-08T18:08:05+00:00

Brand new Dell XPS laptop with Windows 11. It will not search text within PDF files. From looking on the internet seems like there are lots of problems Windows Search in Windows 11 which did not exist in Windows 10. Including not searching/indexing contents of PDF files, which is critical for me.

Has ANYONE been able to search within PDF files on Windows 11?

Please don't suggest re-indexing, have done 6 or 7 times. And, yes indexing settings are set to index contents of PDF files.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2022-12-29T09:22:06+00:00

PDF Indexing is working on Windows 11 (even with the standard PDF indexer), however, you can only search for file contents via File Explorer and not via Search / Taskbar Search.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-01-09T11:41:39+00:00

    Did you select "Index Properties and File Contents" for pdf?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-01-09T02:25:39+00:00

    Thank you for that mb1280. I appreciate that. Sadly I am not technically proficient enough to be dinking around with the registry. It's incredible that we would even have to resort to something like that for basic search functionality to work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-01-09T02:20:37+00:00

    It's not working for me using file explorer or the search bar. I'm on windows 11 (22H2)

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-12-25T19:30:38+00:00

    Does anyone else using windows 11 still have issues with searching for contents within documents? I had thought that this was fixed long ago, but I am still on a beta version. Has worked fine in beta for many many months. I plan to upgrade to the regular Windows 11 version when the next major upgrade comes along, unless this issue persists.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments