Windows 11 Windows Search not searching or Indexing PDFs

Anonymous
2022-03-08T18:08:05+00:00

Brand new Dell XPS laptop with Windows 11. It will not search text within PDF files. From looking on the internet seems like there are lots of problems Windows Search in Windows 11 which did not exist in Windows 10. Including not searching/indexing contents of PDF files, which is critical for me.

Has ANYONE been able to search within PDF files on Windows 11?

Please don't suggest re-indexing, have done 6 or 7 times. And, yes indexing settings are set to index contents of PDF files.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2022-12-29T09:22:06+00:00

PDF Indexing is working on Windows 11 (even with the standard PDF indexer), however, you can only search for file contents via File Explorer and not via Search / Taskbar Search.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-10-25T19:31:41+00:00

    OK, I understand. I have always relied on the searching within File Explorer method. So it sounds like Windows 11 is good for my purposes--until Microsoft decides to break this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2022-03-09T03:50:27+00:00

    Hi MattBK,

    Sorry I misunderstood you.

    Windows search does not support searching the contents of a file, but I found relevant information, some applications used to open PDF files support such a function, you can try to search about it(sorry, due to security reasons, I cannot provide specific software or Link).

    If you have a strong demand for the function you describe, you can give feedback in the "Feedback" application(launched by "Win" + "F") which win10 built in, and the developers will consider and try their best to help solve the problem.

    I wish the above will be helpful to you. Please feel free to let me know how it goes, and I will do my best to help you.

    Best Regards,

    Mosken - MSFT | Microsoft Community Support Specialist

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-03-09T02:02:55+00:00

    Hi MattBK,

    Thanks for your post in Microsoft Community.

    I'm Mosken, I do apologize for the inconvenience that you're experiencing right now, let me help you sort things out.

    According to your description, I knew that you cannot search PDF files using Windows search function in win11, even if you have reindexed. If my understanding is wrong, please correct me in the reply.

    I tried to search the PDF file on my win11 PC, it is normal and my system version is 21H2(OS Build version 22000.376).

    Please try the following steps, If the solutions are not feasible, please check the system version (you can display it by pressing the win key + R key, and entering "winver", then press Enter) , and only send the relevant information to me in the next reply, so as to solve the problem faster and better.

    1. Restart the Windows search service

    Please run command prompt as an administrator ("Win" logo key + "Q", enter "cmd", select "Run as administrator"), and enter the following commands one by one.

    net start wsearch & net stop wsearch & net start wsearch
    

    2. Run the troubleshooter

    Please enter the system settings as shown below and run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter.

    3. Check for system updates.

    Because many system problems will be fixed in system updates, it is recommended that you check the latest update.

    On the desktop click "Start" > "Settings" > "Update & Security" > "Windows Update" >"Check for updates".

    I wish the above will be helpful to you. Please feel free to let me know how it goes, and I will do my best to help you.

    Best Regards,

    Mosken - MSFT | Microsoft Community Support Specialist

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments