Can't attach word document with Windows 10 home

Anonymous
2022-02-21T08:14:40+00:00

Today I was unable to attach a Word file to an email I wanted to send. I first tried through my Yahoo mail account. I didn't get an error message, the computer screen just got paler while the circular working icon was going. After waiting, I closed the program. After repeated attempts, I restarted my computer and had the same problem. I tried sending the Word file from my Gmail account and got the same problem.

The problem seems to be with just Word, as I had no problem attaching a PDF file.

I haven't made any recent changes and don't have any 3rd party virus protection. I tried the Microsoft trouble shooter with no result.

I have Windows 10 Home and use Chrome as my browser. I've had this configuration on my computer for over 2 years without a problem.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-02-25T12:16:16+00:00

    I clicked the "shared" link on the left hand side at onedrive.live.com and no files show up.

    I tried the copy function for anyone can edit and got different URLs. I was able to open these in the Incognito mode, so I think you should be able to as well.

    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiYFEuv6ZdQIZ0KN4DukqCvowew?e=4MwDcahttps://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYFEuv6ZdQIllF4u6ExaovJPpz-?e=elMLJB

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Neil D 34,310 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-02-25T12:35:19+00:00

    I now have the two documents saved on my internal drive. Using two emails in Gmail I can attach both and send both to my hotmail address.

    I don't have a problem so I can't think what it is with your system.

    Can you confirm your Windows 10 version and build for me, type winver in Search and select the top result.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-02-25T12:56:38+00:00

    Hi, Is this what you need? wasn't sure in which search box to type "winver".

    Edition Windows 10 Home

    Version 20H2

    Installed on ‎3/‎25/‎2021

    OS build 19042.1526

    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack [I've left the numbers here blank as I'm not sure if they should be shared online]

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Neil D 34,310 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-02-25T13:00:53+00:00

    So you are a little behind as the latest version is 21H2, you have the release from 2020. Do you have updates waiting in windows update or does View update history show failed updates.

    Try running the windows update Troubleshooter using Settings > Update and security > Troubleshoot > Additional troubleshooters. Restart after the process is complete, no matter what the result. (using Start > Power > Restart)

    You can also run system file checks

    Method 1:

    Run DISM tool and check the issue. Please follow these steps:

    a. Press Windows + X keys and click command prompt (admin). Or PowerShell (Admin).

    b. Type the following command in command prompt.

    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth [press return]

    let the scan run and then

    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth [press return]

    once the scan is complete then use method 2.

    Method 2:

    System file checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

    Run system file checker (SFC) and see if it helps. Please follow these steps:

    a. Press Windows + X keys and click command prompt (admin). Or PowerShell (Admin).

    b. Type the following command in command prompt.

    sfc /scannow [press return]

    After completing the scans restart using Start > Power > Restart.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-02-25T14:18:13+00:00

    Oh okay - maybe that workaround tells that about something wrong on Microsoft Word, can you try repairing or reinstalling the Office on your machine?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments