Can't attach word document with Windows 10 home

Anonymous
2022-02-21T08:14:40+00:00

Today I was unable to attach a Word file to an email I wanted to send. I first tried through my Yahoo mail account. I didn't get an error message, the computer screen just got paler while the circular working icon was going. After waiting, I closed the program. After repeated attempts, I restarted my computer and had the same problem. I tried sending the Word file from my Gmail account and got the same problem.

The problem seems to be with just Word, as I had no problem attaching a PDF file.

I haven't made any recent changes and don't have any 3rd party virus protection. I tried the Microsoft trouble shooter with no result.

I have Windows 10 Home and use Chrome as my browser. I've had this configuration on my computer for over 2 years without a problem.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-02-21T13:56:31+00:00

    Did you try using an Incognito mode (Private Window) of the browser?

    If not, please try it and make sure you don't load any extensions in the Incognito mode.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-02-21T14:29:31+00:00

    I just tried the Incognito mode. Same problem. No response when trying to attach Word or Excel. However I had nom problem attaching a PDF file or photos.

    I didn't intentionally load any extensions, not sure if that happens automatically?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-02-21T14:44:16+00:00

    What does it shows on the screen when you try to attach a Word or Excel file - are those files Macro enabled? What are the extensions of the files?

    Please share the screenshot of what it shows when you try to attach the file.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-02-21T15:30:54+00:00

    Below is a screenshot. for some reason it's not showing the small, blue "Working" circle

    I tried some older Word documents and I was able to attach most but not all of them. For some reason I can't attach any new Word documents from 2022.

    Macros are new to me. But I checked and Macros are disabled for the Word doc that wouldn't attach in the screenshot below.

    Thanks for all your help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-02-21T15:47:55+00:00

    Looks like some Explorer issue, can you try running your computer in Safe mode and try to attach it there?

    To run PC in safe mode, check this help article:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/sta...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments