Can't attach word document with Windows 10 home

Anonymous
2022-02-21T08:14:40+00:00

Today I was unable to attach a Word file to an email I wanted to send. I first tried through my Yahoo mail account. I didn't get an error message, the computer screen just got paler while the circular working icon was going. After waiting, I closed the program. After repeated attempts, I restarted my computer and had the same problem. I tried sending the Word file from my Gmail account and got the same problem.

The problem seems to be with just Word, as I had no problem attaching a PDF file.

I haven't made any recent changes and don't have any 3rd party virus protection. I tried the Microsoft trouble shooter with no result.

I have Windows 10 Home and use Chrome as my browser. I've had this configuration on my computer for over 2 years without a problem.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-02-21T16:28:08+00:00

    OK. thanks. Why would a Window Explorer open file dialog box come up when using Chrome? Perhaps that's the problem?

    I'll try the safe mode later today. I've never done that before. Is it easy to get back to the regular mode after going to the safe mode?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-02-21T16:18:12+00:00

    Because the Open Menu you see is Windows Explorer open file dialog box, hence I would want to check in safe mode.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-02-21T15:58:36+00:00

    Why would it be an Explorer issue? I've been using a Chrome browser except for when I tried using Edge to attach a document.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-02-21T15:47:55+00:00

    Looks like some Explorer issue, can you try running your computer in Safe mode and try to attach it there?

    To run PC in safe mode, check this help article:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/sta...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-02-21T15:30:54+00:00

    Below is a screenshot. for some reason it's not showing the small, blue "Working" circle

    I tried some older Word documents and I was able to attach most but not all of them. For some reason I can't attach any new Word documents from 2022.

    Macros are new to me. But I checked and Macros are disabled for the Word doc that wouldn't attach in the screenshot below.

    Thanks for all your help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments